Golden Algae eaters... experiences/advice

paekakboyz

Hi All,

Have added a 4cm or so GAE to my community tank in the last couple of days. Had been recommended as another option to bristlenose or similar for algae eating. Was wondering how people have found these in their community tanks etc?

Plan was to re-home him once he gets to around 10cm+ or starts displaying bad behaviour!

please share! :D

ahem except for some of the real horror stories! :o

They can be good, but once they start showing bad behavior they can get nasty. If the fish you keep in the same tank are bigger and can hold there own they should be ok but still keep an eye out.

But imo, that what i've learn't from keeping them

I"ve had mine for 2 years and his behaviour has improved with age. He's in a community tank with bigger fish and much smaller fish. Gives a short chase after hoplo occasionally who is 3 times his size. Cool fish

mine's in with little fishies, the biggest other fish in the tank are a pair of female bettas, 100-ish litre tank, so maybe thats part of it, there's nothing big enough for him to bother taking notice of, and no other bottom dwelling fishes. If he does turn nasty and start eating the others i'll have to move them out and leave it to be his tank, because its in my daughters room and he's her favourite fish.

they are very good for algae eating. I even tested it out. I took a piece of glass and let it sit on a rock for about 11 days, and algae grew on the glass and rock, and the fish could not get to it.

then today afternoon I took the glass piece out exposing the algae. here are the results.

Before:

DSC05475Small.jpgDSC05477Small.jpg

About 2 hours later:

DSC05526Small.jpg