is this plant safe for my tank??...

fishfishfish!

:lol: I have found something that looks like java moss but more fern like in a tub of water in the back yard. I was wondering if this would be safe to put into my fresh water tropical tank?? i have put it in my spare tank to see what it will do and other then a big worm that has appeared from the clump there are smaller worm type things with black heads and pinkish bodies of about 5mm long and others about 3cm plus long and then other little bugs. would they be safe to feed the fish??

what fish have you got?

i imagine that there would be little to no problem feeding them the various insects crawing out of it, maybe try them with one or two to see if they eat them, you dont wanna put something in your tank that they wont eat and might end up causing problems (like how i got my snails when i was starting out!)

A picture/pictures might be usefull to work out an ID for you even!

Personaly i wouldn't introduce something like that into the tank. With that fern that has been sitting in a tub of water outside would come the bad bacteria and maybe some sorta organisms that are waiting for the chance to go into a nice clean aquarium to create a big mess of algae. Parasites could infest the tank as well. You should post a picture of everything like the fern and the worms and bugs coming out of it so people have more of an idea. It would be intresting to look at :)

I have taken plants (including java moss) from local streams before and put them in my tank or pond, I just rinsed them throughly under the hose and if i was really worried about lil bugs etc i put them in a bucket and rinsed them every couple of days until i thought the plants were clean enough and then i put them in the tank. Oops thats a really long sentence lol