Best fish to Breed for feeders

bulldogod

I'd say kribs would be good as the babies are really big when free swimming and seem to grow faster than livebearers but livebearers have babies more often.

wouldnt think htat cclimatisatioin would be neccesarry for feeders...

more of a now you see it, now you dont i thought... lol

seahorses are slow and stupid feeders and strongly prefer live food so the longer it survives in the tank the better :wink:

yeah we have millions of those in our local ponds too! Gambusia.

Are they Ok to feed to captive fish and turtles?

Dont know about Auckland but here you can be prosecuted for removing mosquito fish from the wild or for keeping them. (It does make sense to make use of them tho) I have often heard of them being used as feeders for larger fish. I keep leopard fish and use excess for feeders for my ornate bichir. They live and thrive in my turtle pond which is heated to about eighteen degrees.

Dont know about Auckland but here you can be prosecuted for removing mosquito fish from the wild or for keeping them. (It does make sense to make use of them tho) I have often heard of them being used as feeders for larger fish. I keep leopard fish and use excess for feeders for my ornate bichir. They live and thrive in my turtle pond which is heated to about eighteen degrees.

that's interesting.. I recently accompanied some children to a stream visit and we had a waterways person come speak to the group. As part of her talk she scoops up some pondlife, the kids count the No. of bloodworms, caddisfly larva , shrimp etc and then return it... She told us that if she finds a mosquito fish she is required to remove (kill) it or face a fine! She is not to return it to the stream. They are an introduced pest fish and they compete with inanga and are very aggressive fish that will eat eggs and even the eyes from our natives.

Gambusia (mosquito fish) are classified as Unwanted Organisms under the BiosecurityAct 1993 and People caught releasing or spreading or even selling them without an approval under the Biosecurity Act are liable, on conviction, to a fine.

SO I don't understand why there would be objection to removing them from the wild .. in order to eliminate them by way of feeding them to bigger fish.

they put the law in place so there would be no chance of any being transferrred to other waterways either deliberately or by accident

i have seen people selling them on trademe as cold water guppies, ads quickly withdrawn

if you net a gambusia while netting in streams you are not to return it to the water and it must be killed

they put the law in place so there would be no chance of any being transferrred to other waterways either deliberately or by accident

i have seen people selling them on trademe as cold water guppies, ads quickly withdrawn

if you net a gambusia while netting in streams you are not to return it to the water and it must be killed

:o:o They look just like guppies to me!

:o:o They look just like guppies to me!

if you look at their dorsal fin .it is further set back than a guppy, it starts behind the position of the anal fin. Most noticeable when comparing females.

A guppys dorsal fin is more or less directly opposite the anal fin . And I'm also sure gambusia gonopodiums are longer.When I ddi that stream visit I ahd a real good and close look at the gambusia to see how it was different to my guppy at home.

Perfect. Don't return it to the stream. Kill it by feeding it to a big, hungry fish. Everybody will be happy! :D