New (2nd hand) light fitting & loud buzzing!

whetu

I have recently bought a double-tube light fitting off Trade Me. I've had all kinds of issues with it - I don't blame the seller; I should have asked a lot more questions before I bought it. :roll:

Anyway one of the tubes originally didn't work so I took it back to the guy and (after some persuasion) he swapped a faulty starter with one from another one of his fittings. Now I have it set up on my tank and I am aware of a very annoying buzz/hum coming from it. What is it likely to be? What can I do about it?

Any suggestions welcome!

So do the transformer and ballast make different kinds of buzzes? Or are they located in different parts of the fitting? I know nothing about this magical electrickery stuff - I just flick a switch and expect things to work! :oops:

Transformer and Ballast are different names for the same thing as far as fluorescent fittings are concerned, newer T5 fittings have an electronic ballasts, older ones have magnetic ballasts that are constructed like a transformer and made up of laminated metal plates.

Audible noise from a fluorescent light is likely due to a loose or faulty ballast. The ballast is an electrical device inside the lighting fixture that supplies the proper starting and operating power to the lamp. Noise can also be an indication that the ballast is about to fail. Ballasts normally last 10-20 years, but often become noisy just before they fail.

http://www.flelectrical.com.au/maxilight_savers.html

Check that it is not loose in the fitting - turn it off first before you stick your paws in there!

They look like this, if it is a magnetic ballast:

Magnetic_Ballast.jpg

retrieved from http://www.global-b2b-network.com

Thanks Zev! :hail::hail:

I will unplug the light and (after it has cooled down a bit) take a look inside and see what's what, and make sure everything is attached securely.

I suspect this is a very old fitting as there is a lot of corrosion around the bits where the tubes plug into the light. At some point I will need to ask myself if it's even worth repairing as it's really not in good condition at all.

I was always told the Transformer was the thingy that Zev posted a pik of, and a Ballast is the round thingy.

There are sometimes two round things in magnetic ballast fluoros. One is the starter, the other is a capacitor. In the one on one of my tanks for example it's labeled "Capacitor metallised polypropylene 15 uF" The entire unit is frequently described as the ballast and includes a transformer that drops the voltage down to the 100 something volts fluoros run on. And it will probably be humming at 50 hertz.:)

Ballast... transformer... starter... capacitor... :o

Unfortunately I left it too late to take the light apart today, so will have to do it later in the week (in daylight). Thanks for the info everyone - I enjoy learning new things and will have fun pulling the light apart and working out what's what. Who knows if the buzzing will stop, but at least I will have learned something! :D

the sound will most likely be from the magnetic ballast, what happens with time is that the laminated sections come unstuck and the humm is from the plates moving against eachother, and magnetic ballasts come in diffrent shapes and sizes.