Water Changes made Easy

LYNDYLOO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimbo, you could add the correct amount of aqua plus straight into to your tank, then top up the water. The chlorine will be neutralised as it is added.

I agree. I have aqua vacs that attach to my tap. I just add the dechlorinator directly to the tank as I start adding in the water.

Caper

I recommend (if you have not yet got one) a water filter. There is a lot of crud that is on your roof, and that is in rain.

In our area there is too much coal soot on the roof to use the rain water.

I am looking into a water filter, my fish seem happy enough with out one though and I drink a few liters of tap water a day with out any ill efects.

Do you ever use a gravel vac Lindy or just change the water? Your tank seems pretty low maintenance which is pretty impressive since you have discus. I'm trying to remember if u have a lot of plants which help keep the substrate clean...

And obviously no Gravel Vacs either :roll:

Or do you do them seperately??

Nar. the old cylinders where, but they hav'nt made em with copper for a while now. I guess if you have a pre 90s cylinder in might be dangerous, but that's just a guess.

Though I just realized that most household plumbing , hot and cold use copper pipes so don't listen to me, I'm talking through a hole in my head...

I Gravel Vac everytime I do a Water Change :wink:

I have 4 Extra Large Sword Plants in the Discus Tank, along with a couple of Large Pieces of Driftwood.

I don't have a Hot Water Cylinder as Such, I have 2 of the Infinity 26 Hot Water Systems, so the water is pretty much fresh from the Water Storage Tank outside, as soon as you turn the Tap on.

If your wanting Hot water the Infinity Heats it up as it comes through the Tap.

It has suddenly occurred to me that if I re-arrange the computer room I can fit a 6ft tank on the wall that backs onto the bathroom. As we are about to have the bathroom remodelled, it would be a good time to have a tap put in on the tank side of the wall for instant water changes! A drain at the bottom will have a pipe go to the drain outside the outer wall at one end of the tank. :bounce:

If I put the proposed new tank where the African 4ft used to be I am limited to a 5ft tank - and no tap.

Now I need to see if I can fit a 6ft tank in the back of the Odyssey as I will get Tim in ChCh to make it for me.

Just had a measure up. A 6ft would fit but there would be the stand too. With the slope on the back door we might be pushing it to fit both in. Especially as I haven't thought about depth and height of tank or stand as yet. More measuring to do :roll:

Just had a measure up. A 6ft would fit but there would be the stand too. With the slope on the back door we might be pushing it to fit both in. Especially as I haven't thought about depth and height of tank or stand as yet. More measuring to do :roll:

Seeing as you are not hobbits and the tank sits on the stand rather than being attached/fixed to it, how does the door figure into this equation?

Wouldn't you just make the tank the width of the doorway, or the width when you take the door off its hinges. And carry it in after the stand is in place?

just for clarification...

most chlorine should be well and truely out of the water by the time it gets to your house, unless your municipal supplier happens to overdose on chlorine for awhile. and even then, an tank with good aeration should rid itself of chlorine fairly quickly, the ill effects of the negligible amount that may get into a filter and cause damage to the benificial bacteria would be exactly that, negligable, its not going to kill your filter completely, and if you go by some schools of thought, filter disturbance is a good way to keep benificial bacteria fresh and growing. which is why i change my filter media quite often, though not all at the same time.

the amount of copper that comes out of your pipe fittings is negligable too, unless the water has been sitting in contact with the copper for extended periods of time, which it wouldnt be seeing how water is always flowing through the average home when you think about it.

i only ever use a de-chlorinator type additive when starting a new tank or in breeding tanks when i want it to be perfect. for your average community, i wouldnt bother too much.

any problems, read the disclaimer...

That's interesting, Cricketman.

When I run the water out of my kitchen tap into a container, I can definitely smell chlorine in it. In saying that, that just means that the chlorine is wafting about in the air so by the action of running the tap I may have dissipated most of the remaining chlorine out of the water.

Personally I like to use a chemical dechlorinator for safety. Not so much because of its effect on the bacteria in my filter, but more because I don't want to irritate the gills & skin of the poor little fishies.

When I run the water out of my kitchen tap into a container, I can definitely smell chlorine in it. In saying that, that just means that the chlorine is wafting about in the air so by the action of running the tap I may have dissipated most of the remaining chlorine out of the water.

it is, how you say it is... :wink:

just for clarification...

most chlorine should be well and truely out of the water by the time it gets to your house, unless your municipal supplier happens to overdose on chlorine for awhile. and even then, an tank with good aeration should rid itself of chlorine fairly quickly,

Out of interest, what levels of chlorine would be deemed harmful to add to a tank straight?

I asked our water supplier for their chlorine levels and they told me the most recent sample taken form a testing point around the corner from me was:

Cl2-R ' 0.88 mg/L

Cl2-TotL '0.92 mg/ L

These are levels that they sampled at a residential sampling point .. not at the water station. (June 09)

depends on the species of fish.

at 0.92mg/l that is < 1ppm (parts per million), i think if my maths isnt terrible, which it may be...

and, that will probably straight out a tap and analysed, if not under a running tap... given time to waft off and some aeration i expect that to drop considerably. so it is neglagible to start with, before gas transfer! which like i said, in a well aerated aquarium, with good SA to volume ratio (ie 90% of your average tanks) chlorine will be all but dissapated in moments,