Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Algae question?

Featured Replies

I have a 50 litre aquarium that currently houses a couple of sparkling gouramis, 6 ember tetras and 3 otocinclus. I recently brought a new light for the tank and now there is algae on the glass and a very thick fluffy coating on a couple of rocks. I think it looks cool on the back of the tank and the rocks and it is easy enough to scrape it off the front glass. I was just wondering if there is any harm in leaving it or do I need to scrape it off.

Thanks

There's no harm in having it if you like the look of it. The fish don't care - it's usually just us fussy humans that are the problem! :D

I find my ottos do a great job with algae witht he exception of green algae. Before I had my newest ottos, I had green stuff growing. The ottos didn't eat it so I cleaned it off.

Caper

Plants are just a higher form of algae (or are algae a lower form of plants?). I think some of the types of algae look really nice, if kept under control and not smothering everything.

I too have an Algae problem and it's driving me Insane :roll:

I absolutely loathe the look of it, makes me think my Tank is Dirty :(

I have 4 Huge Sword Plants in the Tank, thought that would have been enough to keep the Algae at Bay but obviously not.

Have tried dosing with Flourish Excel everyday, that doesn't seem to be doing much either :evil:

Really not wanting to do the Double Dose thing with Flourish, as I Have Discus in the Tank :-?

My Siamese Algae Eaters have done a wonderful job in getting rid of mine.

Wished I'd known about them when I started the tank! :roll:

SAE's are great! so are big plecos! my leopard sailfin i got from mark has been great at cleaning the glass in my tank! and he demolishes peices of cucumber. between them my tank never looked better

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.