Blue Planet tanks.....

bedazzled

I have not had one of these tanks but haveing had a good look at them at my LFS I would say look at the Jewel.

The light hood on the Blue Planet seems a bit heavy and not the best set up available.

The Jewel on the other hand is light and easy to move if you need to.

I have not had one of these tanks but haveing had a good look at them at my LFS I would say look at the Jewel.

The light hood on the Blue Planet seems a bit heavy and not the best set up available.

The Jewel on the other hand is light and easy to move if you need to.

The jewel is also probably double or triple the price of Blue PLanet tanks

Ive got a 160ltr size blueplanet tank (ltr size guessing off top of my head)

The look good but the lights are mounted under the lid so a bit heavy to lift up and very loud if you accidently drop the lid :x:o which can't be good for the lights :(

On the other hand the filter system seems to be very good, its an airtight unit built into the hood with all the media with it. i took out the TWO :o sections of carbon after the tank was run in and added more ceramic media. its like having a canister filter in the hood of your tank.

We've just picked up the Serene Life Atlantis 140L model from the Animates sale - an Ex-Demo one. Pretty much brand new for $400 with a Fluval 200w heater.

It's 75cm wide, 45cm deep and 45cm tall.

Lighting is a bit weak, comprising of two 13w 10,000k 50cm T5's with rubbish reflectors.

Filtering looks very good, it's got a sizable (4.5 litres total filter media) sealed canister-esque type filter built into the top.

Build quality looks surprisingly good for a budget tank.

I'm planning to plant the bottom out with Crypts and see if it works :].

We've just picked up the 140L model from the Animates sale - an Ex-Demo one. Pretty much brand new for $400 with a Fluval 200w heater.

It's 75cm wide, 45cm deep and 45cm tall.

Lighting is a bit weak, comprising of two 13w 10,000k 50cm T5's with rubbish reflectors.

Filtering looks very good, it's got a sizable sealed canister-esque type filter built into the top with room for tonnes of media.

Build quality looks surprisingly good for a budget tank.

I'm planning to plant the bottom out with Crypts and see if it works :].

Sounds like same as mine, grows plants ok but could be better

Paid $500 brand new

RE si_sphinx

What've you got growing in your tank?

Ive got a lil java fern that doesn't seem to want to grow

twisted val

dwarf sag

nothing too complex for cichlids

I think maybe the tank is too deep, idk :-?

I have recently taken it out to put it into another tank to hopefully get it to grow out a bit quicker.

Blue Planet Serene Life Atlantis 140L

4.jpg

Glass dimensions: 75cm * 45cm * 45cm

Stand height: 72cm

Total height: 125cm

Theoretical volume: 152L

3.jpg 1

Two 13W 10,000k T5's.

2.jpg

4.5 litres of media space - comes with 4 compartments.

[Large Bio Balls][Foam.Carbon.Foam][Filterwool wrapped carbon][bio noodles]

15w, 1200lph powerhead.

Transparent intake tube and adjustable multidirectional outlet stream.

3.jpg 1

Two 13W 10,000k T5's.

2.jpg

15w, 1200lph powerhead.

My hexy Midi filter looks the same, just shorter in length and the flow is 200/L hr becuase it's only a 22L tank. . it just has 3 compartment... bioballs - carbon wrapped in wool ...then ceramic noodles. .. I've worked out it's heaps cheaper to make up my own media pack for the middle compartment, than buy the blueplanet packs!

Filter strength .. I have it set to medium low becuase there is a Betta in the tank but I can turn it up if required (which I do after a water change). Personally I think my aquaone AR380 does a better job at filtering. .. but the Hexy Midi is still good too and looks great as a display tank . The only thing , with it being taller than it is wide and the filter set to low ... I find more muck settles in the gravel but a light vacuum every week takes care of that.

4.jpg

Glass dimensions: 75cm * 45cm * 45cm

Stand height: 72cm

Total height: 125cm

Theoretical volume: 152L

3.jpg 1

Two 13W 10,000k T5's.

2.jpg

15w, 1200lph powerhead.

Thanks Romeo, nice looking tank :)

What concerned me when I lifted the lid on the tank I saw in the shop yesterday was the lights being so exposed, I am use to aqua one and aqua one style tanks that have plastic or something over the lights.

Any thoughts on this?

RE bedazzled

I haven't really considered that, but many of the Juwel tanks use similar light fittings, and these ones appear to be quite well sealed. Also, there's plenty of ventilation around the bulbs, so that should mitigate a bit of the moisture. Never the less, I'll make a note to myself to be extra careful around them.

I'd imagine they'd be quite safe though, Blue Planet love to be "child safe" with a lot of their design.

i have an elite tank with exposed lights like that, when the lights are on they stay dry from heat but are soaking overnight, no problems in almost a year i've had it. It has tightly sealed endcaps on the tubes which i imagine keeps the moisture out of the connections.