Daphnias!

scales & tails fishfa

Hi guys.

I want to start up a daphnia culture for my Betta fry.

I read up that you need to make green water by adding grass clippings into a bucket of aqaurium water and leaving it in the sun or direct light for ages and have a few bucket goin at one time.

I heard that you need areation with them. Is it true? I also heard that it's possible to just keep them in an aquarium with new born fry and the daphnias will eat all the left over foods, algeas and bacterias and then the fry will just eat them when their big enough. Is that also true. Sounds a little odd to me.

Also does anybody know where I can get them? Either from someone who already has some or if anyone knows a pond/lake where there are some. I live in Birkenhead, North Shore, Auckland.

Thanks 8)

Wrong time of year to start daphnia, wait until summer.

No need for aeration unless you are trying to transport them in a small jar - then they die real fast!

Dahnia are good for clearing green water in a tank but bigger fish eat them fast!

You usually get them from someone with an existing culture. I am able to start mine just by leaving a container of green water outside!

Wrong time of year to start daphnia, wait until summer.

No need for aeration unless you are trying to transport them in a small jar - then they die real fast!

Dahnia are good for clearing green water in a tank but bigger fish eat them fast!

You usually get them from someone with an existing culture. I am able to start mine just by leaving a container of green water outside!

That's very interesting, Caryl. (And thanks for asking the question, scales&tails!) I have never tried growing daphnia, but at the moment I happen to have a plastic barrel full of water outside on the deck. I am currently using it to try to waterlog some driftwood, and was intending to use it again this summer in an attempt to breed cherry barbs. Instead I might give it a go as a daphnia breeding programme!

:bounce:

try http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/

also http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_a ... php?aid=33

I have a colony that i dont look after, and it waxes and wanes as it sees fit, but mostly i can get a small feed out of it all year.

I have scanned these links, and theyb seem to talk a lot on green water, but the best bloom I have ever had, was in a 15' pond I had, 2 days after refilling with tap water, and the water was absolutely red and had I been able to harvest it all, there would have been netsfull. The point is I guess dont fret or get to stressed out about looking after them...