Bad Eel, anything I can do?

michael.qian

Hi all

Peacock eel, about 1.5 years since I bought it, grown significantly, about 20cm or a bit more.

Just now when the light was off I saw it trying to eat my Siamese Algae Eater, failed though as the fish was slightly too big and managed to get away, although visible scaring on its skin.

Anything I can do? Apart from selling one of them. Probably no other solution right? It's very well fed.

Cheers

:lol: While we're at it, why don't we put all our 'naughty' fish in one tank?

I know of a few more potential tank mates... :roll:

Yes! Now would we call it UFC(Ultimate Fish Championship) or WCW(Water Championship Wrestling)? Glass boxing?

Ok, so no easy solution.

Probably have to sell the SAE. All the other fish the eel definitely won't be able to eat. This eel is definitely NOT shy, never has been. As it grows I'll have to be careful with hand feeding it as its jaws are getting pretty hard and sharp.

Another question. Would earth worms be safe for it to eat? There's a compost box where I dump my lawn trimmings in the garden, plenty of small earth worms in there.

Worms should be fine to feed it, maybe cut them up juss incase. My Fire Eel 'Allie' used to eat them all the time if no worries. :-)

I have compost worms that I sometimes feed to my fish. I was once told that the contents of the worms' gut can be very bitter, and that you're best to put the worms in a container with some bread overnight so they eat the bread and clean the compost out of their gut before feeding them to the fish. I have no idea whether this is true, or how the person discovered that worms taste bitter! :o