I built a stand

VinsonMassif

ps. I have no skill at DIY or carpentry.

don't lie! look at it. its awesome! :D

I have no carpentry skills. it took me an hour to assemble one of those put it together your self tank stands, and finally when it was done, turns out it was upside down :oops:

Columbian tetras are awesome. shoal of 25+ would look mint.

Can I just add some constructive criticism?

The stand should, IMHO, some diagonal bracing across the back and sides to prevent it folding over in an earthquake or someone leaning on it. I know you have glued and screwed it, but with the weight on top, it could still let go.

This can be achieved at the back and sides with a sheet of timber, ply etc, or some metal strapping as used in the building trade. Painted black of course. :wink:

I really like the idea of the exposed timbers theme you have done too so think the metal strapping would be your best option.

KiwiPete I don't mind criticism.

I don't fully understand your point about folding.

The stand is 80cm high.

I have braced the middle of the beams.

The beams are heart Rimu = very solid and hard and solid and hard and firm and inflexible.

With the tank on it doesn't rock or shudder or move.

In what way will cross straps help?

KiwiPete I don't mind criticism.

I don't fully understand your point about folding.

The stand is 80cm high.

I have braced the middle of the beams.

The beams are heart Rimu = very solid and hard and solid and hard and firm and inflexible.

With the tank on it doesn't rock or shudder or move.

In what way will cross straps help?

Cross-straps would act as an "anti-racking" mechanism. Racking is when a structure deforms diagonally (and it's the reason triangles are so much stronger than squares!)

Square-based structures are very strong when the weight is pushing down vertically on them. But then if you can imagine a horizontal rocking movement, you can see how the structure could weaken and collapse. Diagonal braces would prevent the structure from moving horizontally.

Cross-straps would act as an "anti-racking" mechanism. Racking is when a structure deforms diagonally (and it's the reason triangles are so much stronger than squares!)

Square-based structures are very strong when the weight is pushing down vertically on them. But then if you can imagine a horizontal rocking movement, you can see how the structure could weaken and collapse. Diagonal braces would prevent the structure from moving horizontally.

I was going to say that. :wink:

Would 20mm Mdf be sufficient bracing covering the back of the stand?

Yes, absolutely. In fact you could get away with waaaay less bracing than that (assuming the rest of your framing is strong).

I have built wooden structures where the only anti-racking mechanism I have used is a thin strip of plywood (maybe 5cm wide), attached diagonally across the back. I would never use that method for a tank stand (too heavy and the results of a catastrophic failure would be too horrible! :o ) But I have used it on tall bookcases & tool racks very successfully. You literally just need a thin ribbon of steel or plywood.

I guess my next stand will have diagonals in it then.

Thanks for that.

Personally, I think your stand looks very sound exactly as it is and I wouldn't worry about its structure at all. You can achieve a good anti-racking effect on a low structure just by using screws offset diagonally on each joint (or by using gang nails etc) especially when you're using nice solid timber like yours.

Do keep an eye on its horizontal strength as the wood swells & shrinks, screws loosen, etc. You can always add a diagonal brace if you think it's necessary later, but I don't think you'll ever need to.

The wood has been a deck for the last 40 odd years. It has dried swollen and shrunk a whole bunch.

It has been stored for the last year in the garage.

I screwed each join on 3 sides. Each join has a minimum of 10 screws.

I wasn't leaving much to chance.

I braced both flat sides and each end of each vertical brace to stop any movement.