help help .very sick black dicus fish

nzdiscus

my new tank is 200L, temp is 30Cd.i got 3 filters , 1 external. 1 internal and a Bio-Sponge Filter as well. ph is around6.8.and i'm doing 10L water change everyday.

i got those fish from pet store 1 month ago. they stoped eating well 2 weeks ago. some of them has white fece. this very sick one got long fece sometimes and cloudy eye. his body color is very black. totally stop eating at the moment.

i only use epsom salt and malefix as the medicine at the moment.

it looks like they got intestinal tracts problems .is this Hexamita?

i brought formalin and Metronidazole (very costly)today. i'm not sure if i can use both of them at sametime.

anyone can help me the step of the treatments plz

dsc01498nkb.jpg those fish looks ok , but not eating well

dsc01511k.jpg my poor sick baby

hello and welcome. :D :bounce:

you should not need the formalin, how ever i would recommend de worming them all.

I would de worm the upset "hissy fit" discus separately.

raise the temp to 32 degrees (your albino cory will not like that one tiny bit) slowly.

melafix will not help in this situation and the same goes for the epsom salts.

since you have metro use that, you will find a lot of posts about the dosing ratios.

Sounds like you need to get some metro viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39660 it is usually what people hit their discus with when they stop eating..

I would also be doing large than 10L a day if I could.

Did you cycle your tank at all or just add the fish?

i have been cycle the tank for 2 week ,but i didn't sanitize my new tank in the first place( my fault) then i put angles in the tank for 1 week to test if the water is ok. on the third week i brought 8 dicsus fish from pet store.

Hello i would start off with large water change and then increace temp to 32o slowly.

To mix metro add tablets to small ammount of very warm water and shake well to disolve.

A good dose rate is 400mg(1x 400mg tablet)per 40ltrs daily for 10 days with 50% waterchange before re dosing.

Keep temp up at 32o for a further 10days after treatment also performing 50% daily water changes(with water of same temp)

Seems like your tank is not cycled proply and has helped cause outbreat also there seams to be some swelling around the eye of second pic may be bacterial but the metro treatment is a good start.

Remember to declorinate new water when changing and check nitrites and ammonia .

As above. 2 weeks is not cycling a tank. It a token gesture at best however I am not the greatest at tank cycling either and have never had a problem.

Temp up to 32 during entire treatment.

Metro by itself first. 400mg per 40 - 50 ltrs every day with 50 - 100% water changes every day for a week. Then perhaps levamisole in for 2 days without a water change and then back to 50 - 100% every day. Feed something that they will almost definately eat like small cut up live earthworms or frozen bloodworms.

The bacterial problem will need to be sorted out but 1st priority is to get rid of its internal problems.

I am sorry to say though that I would be very suprised if that one comes through. Hopefully the picture looks worse than it really is.

As above. 2 weeks is not cycling a tank. It a token gesture at best however I am not the greatest at tank cycling either and have never had a problem.

I've read that it is possible to cycle a tank in one week if using pure ammonia.

I'm very sorry to hear about your fish, especially since they were so expensive. Raise the temperature and if possible set up a hospital tank so you can dose individual fish if the others aren't sick. This will save you money on medicine and will stop the meds from killing the good bacteria in your main tank.

Good luck.

Yes you probably could cycle a tank in a week using ammonia but this person has not stated how the tank was cycled I am sure they will clear this up..

Personally I would recommend treating all the fish, if you have purchased them from a petshop usually they are in poor state (blanket statement obviously some shops are exceptions) so treating all the fish to know where you are at with them would be a good start. It will wreak havoc with filters so lots of water changes etc will be required.

How did you cycle the tank for 2 weeks before adding the fish? Adding the angels for a week wouldn't have done much, I would say the tank wasn't cycled properly and probably still isn't have you got a test kit for ammonia?

yes , i got the test kit, ammonia is ok at the moment, but my ph is unstable. it's causing the problems as well.

i 'm keep the fiters on for two weeks cycling byadding the good bacteria,, then i add the fish when the water no longer cloudy.

Temp up to 32 during entire treatment.

Metro by itself first. 400mg per 40 - 50 ltrs every day with 50 - 100% water changes every day for a week. Then perhaps levamisole in for 2 days without a water change and then back to 50 - 100% every day. Feed something that they will almost definately eat like small cut up live earthworms or frozen bloodworms.

The bacterial problem will need to be sorted out but 1st priority is to get rid of its internal problems.

I am sorry to say though that I would be very suprised if that one comes through. Hopefully the picture looks worse than it really is.

he is more worse than the picture shows , the color is all most like black molly......

hopefully they won't become to all black...............

Hello i would start off with large water change and then increace temp to 32o slowly.

To mix metro add tablets to small ammount of very warm water and shake well to disolve.

A good dose rate is 400mg(1x 400mg tablet)per 40ltrs daily for 10 days with 50% waterchange before re dosing.

Keep temp up at 32o for a further 10days after treatment also performing 50% daily water changes(with water of same temp)

Seems like your tank is not cycled proply and has helped cause outbreat also there seams to be some swelling around the eye of second pic may be bacterial but the metro treatment is a good start.

Remember to declorinate new water when changing and check nitrites and ammonia .

thank you very much , i'm going to start 50% water change tonight , as well as increace the temp to 31 first.

once the temp hit 32 tomorrow, i will start the metro treatment.

i will keep update his information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dsc01615d.jpg

here is my sick boy back to my tank, he still looks like a bit dark , but he's way better than b4.

what i did for the treatment:

slowly increase the temp to 32

400mg Metro for 40 ltrs hospital tank every day with 50 % water changes every day until he start to feed.

start to feeding him color bits mix with metro and seachem garlic guard until there is no white poo in the tank.

30 mins salt dip every day by adding 4 stablespoons of tonic salt for 10 ltrs of water during entire treatment. ( i think this is the best part i was doing)

all the water for water chages was aged at least 3 days

i hope it helps anyone got the same problem , any questions just ask me

cheers

thank you !!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: