Where to find koura and freshwater shrimps in Auckland

watupg

Hi

I live in Auckland CBD and want to add a koura (fresh water crayfish), some freshwater shrimps and possibly a fresh water crab to my fish tank.

After doing a bit of research the best way I can see of getting them is to get out and catch them myself.

Does anyone know any good spots to catch them in or just outside Auckland?

And any tips on how to catch them?

Thanks

Catching shrimps is quite easy really.

Find a beach with a small stream. Find some over hanging vegetation e.g. some grass hanging into the water. Use a net and drag it along the underside of the vegetation.

If there's no shrimp then you probably wouldn't want to catch anything from that area anyway as there might be a pollution problem.

Thanks, I've given up on the koura idea after seeing how big they are in the shop. The ones I had seen in Lake Taupo before must have been babies as they where much smaller.

If we have some good weather this weekend I'll try catching some fw shrimp and post back if I have sucess.

Any idea how many would fit in a tank??

Are you wanting to add these to your 22 Ltr Tank

I would go there, You have to many Fish in the Tank already.

Really should be cutting down on what you already have rather than adding more.

Lots to learn about Keeping Fish, I've kept Fish for more than 10 years now, and still learn something new everyday.

Good Luck

haha thanks

It was more of a scouting mission. I didn't know fw shrimp existed. After getting a fish tank it started making me curious about our natural water environment. If I can find any I'll place them back. It would not be safe to add them to my tank at the moment. Though I am considering buying a bigger tank.

Most likely it will rain this weekend anyway...