Safety Factor of glass

lucy

as i understand it a safety factor of 1 would be a minimum for glass thickness as to size of panes

so when full of water it might handle the odd light tap or knock

i have used a safety factor of 3 for our tanks as they are on public display

which i hope means they should be able to handle 3x the impact or 3 x safer than the minimom requirement

that said i don't think any tank that is full will stand a good whack with a hard, pointed object

this is just my opinion

yeah its one of those grey areas eh??? ive watched conversations here on the forum where there have been so many conflicting views. Like Mark said a safety factor of 3 would be good. Mines not. Barrie is a glassier i think and can offer some expertise on the subject. i think most tanks are at least 8mm thick and are pretty well put together these days, with nice bracing. Im more worried about the silicon springing a leak. Logic does say the longer your in this hobby the more chance you have of hearing about or experiencing a cracked tank. I know someone who has had this expensive experience. (new carpet material) Since ive been a member of this forum ive been surprised by the number of cracked tanks people have had.

On another forum there was this whole debate about whether or not you need to support the base of the tank or you can get away with just supporting the outer edge of it.

Does it keep you awake at night???