has anyone ever heard of a bumblebee catfish??

beckyboo

i was sold a bumblebee goby from a pet shop a few months ago and as it grew bigger i became kind of worried cos it didnt look like the bumblebee gobys that everyone on trademe had. i done a little bit of research and have discovered that it is not a bumblebee goby but an asian bumblebee catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis) possibly a nice chunky female by the looks of it. i have never seen these before let alone heard of them. i was wanting to know if anyone had one of these and if so what are thier experiences with them. i think this fish is the ugliest thing i have ever seen but cos its so ugly it has the coolest personality. in saying that, its not very cool when i wake up in the morning to find half of my other fish "missing" cos this thing has eaten it. google search name for a pic if you dont know what they look like :)

any ways now to help you...

so do you have just one or more? (hang on to them for dear life) :D

they will be happy with pictus's etc, but occasionally will fight with others of the same species.

they are quite vocal (even more so than pictus's who croak all the time; least they did with me).

but im amazed you got one that small, as bumblebee gobies are usually 2-3 cm long. how big was he/she when you got it?

do you have a pic? :D

only have the 1 and it was about an inch long when i bought it. its now about 4inches and it only comes out at nights. during the day it lives in a shipwreck ornament and is very territorial towards my corys and gba when they go into the shipwreck. i had never seen a bumblebee goby before so i assumed that what the lady sold me was one but turns out it wasnt.

i was sold a bumblebee goby from a pet shop a few months ago and as it grew bigger i became kind of worried cos it didnt look like the bumblebee gobys that everyone on trademe had. i done a little bit of research and have discovered that it is not a bumblebee goby but an asian bumblebee catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis) possibly a nice chunky female by the looks of it. i have never seen these before let alone heard of them. i was wanting to know if anyone had one of these and if so what are thier experiences with them. i think this fish is the ugliest thing i have ever seen but cos its so ugly it has the coolest personality. in saying that, its not very cool when i wake up in the morning to find half of my other fish "missing" cos this thing has eaten it. google search name for a pic if you dont know what they look like :)

Wow, that is one BIG sentence with no capitals!

I guess this goes to show that pet stores have no idea what they're selling sometimes, I don't know how anyone could confuse the two; they're completely different shapes, colours, sizes and type of fish.

a few years ago i had some 'bumble bee cats' that hff sold me. they only got to about 6cm and were awesome!!! they'd wizz about the tank and could eat a whole algae disc in one go, despite being so small. they never touched my tetras or any other small fish. and they didn't look like the one in the link phoenix put up ....

im pretty sure this is what they were: http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=bumblebeecatfish