HELP ME HELP ME my VT ate half his tail

fishbreeder

as subject says, my VT male has eaten half his tail, he had a lovely lovely long tail so long and flowing, we had to go to town for 2 nights and came home to find that he has eaten half of his pretty tail. why? how can i tell if it is fin rot or him eating it,? none of my numerous other betta males have eaten their tails.

please help me, how do i help him get "well" and grow it back?

no, he is all by himself. as said he is a Veiltail betta, its his rear fin that has missing part and its not like hes eaten from end up the whole thing, its the back half of the fin that has half missing. i hope that makes sense.

if you think about a VT blowing its tail out and it being cut in half longways, its the back half that is half as long as the rest of the fin. looks strange, there are a few long spike hanging off it and a couple of bits of fin on the bottom of tank.

he is still swimming well.

It's common with fighters having big tail like VT and HM. The tail will just grow back with good quality water conditions. It could be poor water conditions or stress that cause them to bite off the tail. After keeping fighters for 20 odd years, i've come to the conclusion that they are a very smart fish. The big tail is restricting their movement so they bite it off in order to move more freely :roll: . I say that because it doesn't happen to the plakat or the female.

After all those years of keeping them, I still can't find a fighter whisperer to communicate with them to find out what is the real reason behind all this tail bitting :lol: :lol:

ron