help please - my new Gold Nugget Pleco died :(

humvee

I agree that it would have been munched after it died.

The fact that the gold nugget initially spent its time at the back of the tank with the others then in the last day was at the front of the cave in a more visible/less desirable place suggests it was hassled. If it was in a stressed state before you got it (as wild caught fish can be) then bullying/chasing, restricted access to food, and the resulting higher stress levels could easily kill it. Plecos are generally hardy but so are Africans and I've seen perfectly healthy Africans die in a very short period of time after being severely hassled by dominant male Melanochromis auratus. Regardless of how it died its still a very sad loss.

For those that haven't seen it. This Planet Catfish article about gold nuggets is well worth a read. http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=382

I keep a few plecs as do my friends and this is going to happen.

territories, development of Alpha males and heirarchies, gravid females will turn a

serene tank environment into a warzone.

As flatfish says the stress alone could be the factor.

Often damage is inflicted with spikey odontodes of the pectoral fins rasped along the side or belly of adversary.

The smaller the victim in comparison the easier to lever un der it and vexpose it weakest point- the belly.

I've even seen the mortal wound as no more than a knive like stab from one of those odontodes as the victim was bailed up somewhere. The munched belly could be simply be a bit of scavenging when dead.

At anytime JimR's or any other of our plec tank situation could change. The closer they are to a breeding age the more

chances of fatalities.

Unfortunatley fish have absolutely no concept of their moneytry value and

can be exceedingly annoying when they are disrepectful of that fact.

You could try more caves or make number of hidey hole options that are seperated by open spaces dividing tank into zones.

Sorry for your loss