canister owners

wagonman

I just have mine set up the way the instructions say (I have an eheim). IMO the paeople who designed and developed the system know how it all works best, so there's no point messing with their system! I find the eheim media to be excellent, but expensive.

I have a Aquaone CF1200

I run Eheim Subatrate Pro which is apparently Sintered Quartz, in the bottom 2 Trays

Then I have Carbon with Filter Wool in the Top Tray, I dont use carbon all the time, so when not using the Carbon, I just fill the Top Tray with Filter Wool.

Great wee Filters, I have 2 of these, 1 on my Discus Tank and 1 on my Community Tank.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i brought a cf1000 today but i am abit baffled as to priming it, the instuctions are not very good, do i set everything up then suck on one of the tubes to get the flow to fill the tubes and canister then put the tube back on then plug it in?

thanks

I usually do that but if you undo the primer cap on the top of the filter between the taps and fill that to the brim then it should be all go. You may have to tip it on its side a little initially to get some of the air out and get it started then just a little shake every now and again for a day or so to get any remaining air out.

Have to agree the Instructions on the Priming are not terribly clear at all.

Here's what I do with my CF1200, once I've taken it apart and cleaned it, I then replace the Cannister Lid, place the Inlet Hose back onto the Inlet Side of the Filter, then I get a piece of the Tubing that goes from the Tank to the Filter,

(You will probably have some left, if you have had to shorten the Tubing from your Tank to your Filter),

Place the spare piece of Tubing onto the Outlet Side of the Filter, open the tap on the Inlet Side then Suck, this will then start to syphon water from the Tank to the Filter, once the Filter is full, I turn the Inlet Tap off replace the hosing on the Outlet side of the Filter turn both the Taps on, then turn the Filter on.

I found this the simplest way to get the Filter Primed :bounce:

I run Ehiem Substrat Pro in the 2 Bottom Trays, the Filter Wool in the Top Tray.

Throw out the Bio Balls if your Filter came with them, your far better to use Ceramic Noodles.

Have to agree the Instructions on the Priming are not terribly clear at all.

Here's what I do with my CF1200, once I've taken it apart and cleaned it, I then replace the Cannister Lid, place the Inlet Hose back onto the Inlet Side of the Filter, then I get a piece of the Tubing that goes from the Tank to the Filter,

(You will probably have some left, if you have had to shorten the Tubing from your Tank to your Filter),

Place the spare piece of Tubing onto the Outlet Side of the Filter, open the tap on the Inlet Side then Suck, this will then start to syphon water from the Tank to the Filter, once the Filter is full, I turn the Inlet Tap off replace the hosing on the Outlet side of the Filter turn both the Taps on, then turn the Filter on.

I found this the simplest way to get the Filter Primed :bounce:

I run Ehiem Substrat Pro in the 2 Bottom Trays, the Filter Wool in the Top Tray.

Throw out the Bio Balls if your Filter came with them, your far better to use Ceramic Noodles.

For restarting mine, all I do is put it back together, reattach the hoses, turn the power on, turn the hoses to on, and im away - and thats with emptying the 'bucket' to clean - though I always refill it.

Well i got it setup with no drama's, noodles in the bottom of the canister then noodles and filter wool in second tray and filter wool in the top tray, gave it a shake to get all the air out of it, using the duckbill as the spraybar is abit strong, how long before i can get rid of my other filter as it is taking up room the canister could be using. 1-2 weeks???

Well i got it setup with no drama's, noodles in the bottom of the canister then noodles and filter wool in second tray and filter wool in the top tray, gave it a shake to get all the air out of it, using the duckbill as the spraybar is abit strong, how long before i can get rid of my other filter as it is taking up room the canister could be using. 1-2 weeks???

Good on you, wagonman.

As for getting rid of the old filter,do you have test kits? It might pay to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite in the tank, but generally I think a couple of weeks should be fine for getting your new filter seeded and working well. Is there no wayt you can keep both filters running permanently on the tank? More filters = always better :bounce:

Is there no way you can keep both filters running permanently on the tank? More filters = always better :bounce:

I have an aqua one ar850 so it has the lighthood/trickle filter on the top, i want to get rid of the lighthood and replace with sum new light's to get decent plant growth so that might free up sum space for the inlet/outlet tube's i guess.

I have an Aquaone 980 Tank, I wouldn't think that the 850 would be any different, I have fantastic plant growth

Feed my Plants with Flourish Excel as well, after every major water change, which is every second day, as it's a Discus Tank.

I run Filter Wool where the exsisting filter would normal run through, works a treat.

I also use the Duckbill instead of the Spray Bar.

on a slightly related note,

my ehein 2213 is about 1 year old now and it has lost about 70% of its pressure. i regularly take it out and rinse it but im unsure about opening up the powerhead to see if its clogged up. it used to crank but now it just trickles out. it seems to still operate fine otherwise.

what would you guys recommend?

on a slightly related note,

my ehein 2213 is about 1 year old now and it has lost about 70% of its pressure. i regularly take it out and rinse it but im unsure about opening up the powerhead to see if its clogged up. it used to crank but now it just trickles out. it seems to still operate fine otherwise.what would you guys recommend?

clean the impellor. it is very simple. once the impeller is in your hands, use an old tooth brush to clean it, and also use the tooth brush to clean the cavity that the impeller sits in. then rinse it out.

the narrow pipes on the 2213 are also slightly more prone to things getting lodged in them, so check for that too.

it helps that you can see through the green pipes, so if there is a build up of grime it should be easy-ish to see.

if the pipes are filled with grunge and you cannot see through the pipes, it may be an idea to clean the pipes with a hose.

(fluval owner's wont have this problem :lol: )

clean the impellor. it is very simple. once the impeller is in your hands, use an old tooth brush to clean it, and also use the tooth brush to clean the cavity that the impeller sits in. then rinse it out.

the narrow pipes on the 2213 are also slightly more prone to things getting lodged in them, so check for that too.

it helps that you can see through the green pipes, so if there is a build up of grime it should be easy-ish to see.

if the pipes are filled with grunge and you cannot see through the pipes, it may be an idea to clean the pipes with a hose.

(fluval owner's wont have this problem :lol: )

Yep, all of the above. Start with visual inspection of all the intake and output hoses as that's usually the easiest thing to do. Also remove the basket thing on the intake and make sure it's not clogged up with anything (make sure your little fish don't get sucked up the pipe while the basket is removed! :o ) And check that the output holes in the spraybar are all clear.

Those are all the easy things you can do without taking your filter apart - once you've eliminated those as the source of the problem it's time to take your impellor out and clean it. I have never done this so I'm afraid I can't tell you how!

yea all the pipes etc are well cleaned i just couldnt see how to get into the impellor, il have a crack tomorrow when im off work :) thanks guys. figure it will be all gunged up inside.

edit- this guy aint going up any hose :lol:

th_oscaravatar.jpg

Do you have the manual? I just decided to look it up in the manual and it makes cleaning the impellor look quite easy. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner or I would scan the page and post it here. Here's what it says:

Cleaning of pump chamber

Open the pump head by pressing the spring-loaded catch and remove.

Remove pump cover with impellor.

Rinse shaft carefully (risk of breaking), clean all other parts including pump chamber and pump head with a soft brush.

For closing tilt back pump head until the spring-loaded catch slots in.

There is also a whole section in the manual on trouble-shooting, including a heap of reasons why filter performance might have deteriorated. If cleaning the impellor doesn't help, I now have a list of about 50 other things it could be! :lol: Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My CF1200 lots a load of pressure since it was new. It still has good output, just without the sheer power that had me in awe when I first started it up.

It got a full (I mean full, blasted lines out, cleaned all media, impellor and well etc etc) clean 2 weeks ago and no change.