Purigen??

LYNDYLOO

Im looking at using Seachem Purigen in my Discus Tank, I'm not having much luck fixing this hazy Tank of mine :roll:

Purigen has been recommended to me by a couple of people on here, so now I have a few questions I would like answers to if at all possible.

Has anyone used Seachem Purigen before and recharged it??

It seems that when Purigen has used up it's ability to absorb, it turns dark brown to black, it can be recharged by soaking it in a solution of Bleach, then it needs to be recharged with a Neutral Regulator or Discus Buffer.

I'm looking at getting some of this from Hollywood Fish Farm as nobody down this way sells it, it seems HFF sell Purigen but not what you need to recharge it with once it's past its use ability.

Has anyone used Purigen??

Advice on this product would be really appreciated.

Cant work out why HFF would sell this stuff, but not what you need to recharge it :-?

My cousin has a Marine Tank so might ask him, he is also mates with one of the girls from one of the Petshops down in Welly, so she maybe able to get it in for me.

I used it. It was great.

It is recommended to recharge in Ammonia for 24 hours, and not bleach.

As I understand it: Ammonia is ammonium and hydroxide.

Bleach is ammonia and chlorine.

(clearly not a chemistry major)

If you use regular bleach the chlorine needs to be soaked out in dechlor. for a further 8 hours+.

But otherwise a fantastic product for doing what it is sold to do!

Now I'm confused :-?

This is the Write up from Seachem for Recharging Purigen:

Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh filter bag. Each 1 L treats up to 4,000 L (1,000 gallons*) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime™, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer™, Neutral Regulator™, or Acid Buffer™). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen™ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen™ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit

They are saying to use Bleach, then use (Discus Buffer™, Neutral Regulator™, or Acid Buffer™).

Vinsonmassif: Did you use Ammonia only to recharge your Purigen??

Used to use all that sort of stuff when we had a Spa Pool, sold our Spa Pool with the house a couple of years back :( , so I know the stuff you are talking about :wink:

Managed to get a cheap unused Jar of Purigen from fishybiz on here, so I'm looking forward to using it to sort out this Hazy Discus tank of mine :roll:

I'm still abit lost, you say you used Ammonia and not Bleach, on the Seachem Site they say use Bleach, so apart from the difference in names, whats the difference between Ammonia and Bleach?? :roll:

Bleach typically is used as a common cleaner with chlorine in it, but to make it a better cleaner they put fragrance/surfactants/additives in it. These are what is bad for your fish.

So if you shake the bleach and the bubbles stay on top of the water it is not recommended to use it

The only plain bleach I could find was Budget brand. No extra additives to be found.

I mostly used plain ammonia (no chlorine) so no need to soak the purigen for a further 8 hrs in declorinator like Prime.

You will need to make sure you get the right stuff. You may have to buy ammonia from the chemist as I think that from the supermarket may contain other additives. Also if buying bleach (chlorine soln.) from a swimming pool place you will need to make sure it is only chlorine and not mixed with cyanuric acid which is often added to protect from deterioration caused by sunlight. Straight bleach is usually about a 1-2% solution of HTH (high test hypochlorite) which releases 80% chlorine by weight. You could be sure by making your own solution from straight HTH. TREAT WITH RESPECT BECAUSE IT IS A STRONG OXIDISING AGENT.

I've been thinking :roll:

What if I used the Purigen, then once it's past it's usage, throw it out and replace it with a new lot rather than mucking around with Chemicals that I'm not sure of.

Has to be a better solution than recharging it with the wrong thing, then risking the Lives of all my Discus :o

It had been mentioned to me that Purigen is quite pricey, if I replaced it twice a year surely it wouldn't work out to be that expensive, I'm sure I read on the Seachem Site that it should last around 6 months before needing to be recharged.

Ive also been thinking :lol:

if you do decide to throw it out - chuck it at me, lol. ill figure out a way to recharge it.

but if you are going to chuck it out then maybe its better to use carbon and change it every 4 weeks? dunno what purigen costs, but ammo carb (activated carbon with ammonia removing thing) may work out cheaper?

Got Carbon in my Filter at the moment Phoenix, hasn't seemed to have done anything :(

Also added extra Eheim Pro Substrate Media, which is Sintered Quartz, as you would already know :wink:

Nothing seems to have made any major difference to the Haziness of my tank :evil:

hmm.. may i be brave enough to ask you to not do a 70% water change? :lol: the haziness can be caused in a planted non bare bottom tank in particular if there is too much water being changed.

but if its really getting on your nerves (i now it would get on my nerves lol) try using some "b clear" if the water is cloudy/hazy (white). if its particles in the water, you can make a pre filter for the cannister.

mind you that is an additive so lots of ppl on here will be against it - I've only ever used it a couple of times personally to settle a new tank. seems to work well.

+1 for the eheim pro media - i too shelled out the $100odd about 4 years ago, and its still going strong, so its pretty cheap really. its great stuff and I fit a huge amount of it in the fluvals.