10 week bettas already flaring at each other

fishbreeder

is this normal, i separated my fry in half, big and small to give the littlies a chance. now there is about 60 odd big ones and three of them have coloured up big time and spend their time charging round flaring at everyone in sight and each other , i was feeding them bloodworms and had to get a syringe of water to squirt them,they were circling and trying to fight. is this normal? there is also some of the other ones in there that must be female coz they keep going up snuggling (for lack of a better word) with the largest flaring guys.

should they be acting like this at this age? when i got my last lot of bettas i had males and females in same tank for ages until they started to veil adn fight. they were MUCH older than 10 weeks.

I dont think that its to unusual for them to flare at that age (still young though), it depends on how fast they are grown and what they are feed. (correct me if I am wrong) but I think that high protein diet encourges more aggresion. I have some that are starting to flare at 8 weeks.

It is hard to part with them, a tank full would be very nice, :D I guess you choose your favourite 10-15 then thin it down from there.

Jonos correct - some flare and fight when they are very young. I find that cambos tend to be more aggressive as well. Different fish have different temperaments.

Yes, I have an extremely aggressive cambodian female, doesn't get along with other Betta's at all.

so no more brine shrimp and blood worms, should i feed flake to calm them down?

id keep feeding them brine shrimp

gives good growth but alternate foods or they will get fussy

when feeding fry i try not to feed much flake as find it pollutes tank fast

dont feed too many blood worms tho ;)

flaring is natural for them ..

keep a eye on them tho if they start biting/nipping i would seperate out the troubledsome ones

the ones with the bits missing are the trouble making ones - they are not the ones normally being picked on.

really??i thought that the ones with bits missing would be the ones being picked on, though with saying that i did notice bits missing on a boy i took out of my 10weeks today, why is that? i thought the bullies would be the ones making holes in the others.

they love the 2 week old brine shrimp.they are so big.

i have a mixed fry tank with 8 week old fry, three spawns combined at 3 weeks old. one spawn is cambodian cross, and they seem to be bossy even at this age. nice colours already!

My understanding from what I've read and also seen is that the trouble maker goes along nipping and chasing the other males but when the others get sick of it they all gang up and chase back.

Thats how the male gets knocked about.

I've got about 50 males in a small 100 litre 4 ft at the moment and have only had to take about 12 out so far. They are about 11 weeks old I think and about 3-4 cm long.

I do find the cambodians to be more aggressive than the others, don't know why though.

They are about 11 weeks old I think and about 3-4 cm long.

WOW what r u feeding them. i have one that is 4 cms long but he was taken out 4 weeks ago as an experiement to see if he would grow fast by himself in a jar in the hotwater cupboard coming out at night to feed (taken in the lounge so he can see). hes much larger than the others, fins starting to veil out more than the rest.

the rest are between 2.5 and 3.5 cms is that okay for size? i think i may have had too many in the big warehouse bin. im moving my 8 week old fry to a new bin,well actually i think i will bring the rest of the 11 weeks inside and half the 8 week olds into big and small coz there is some in there that still look one week old! maybe they need a chance without the big guys, the biggest of the 8weeks are already eating bloodworms. i must get more decaps.

You will normally get one that grows way faster than the rest (usually a male). The smaller ones are normally the ones that I cull although if you have the space and time you will most likely find that the slower developing ones have the better fins and tails. I have some 6 weeks old that look like 4 months at the moment as well but there were only 15 in the spawn and they have grown up in a 100 litre tank. Bigger spawns tend to grow slower as they have to compete more for food and the smaller slower fry miss out at the start and then have trouble catching up.

the jar thing was my husbands idea, an experiment so to speak, to see if it would grow faster bigger etc. and it has, its startin to veil out, lovely colours. i have about 10 jars in hot water cupboard, plus a container with some BIG fry as well. on monday ill be putting 4 more fullygrown males in there and some more fry so i can half my 8 week olds.

keeps them warm and coz they cant see stops the fighting.LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :bounce: :bounce:

thats true .. most fish will grow faster if they are in a larger enviroment and have adequate water changes

rather than being crammed into a smaller overcrowded tank and have to fight for food :)

seperate tanks are always good just alot of work!

What colour is your CT female?

she is has transparent fins with a bit of red and blue on them, and a kinda off white body, its not silver like my VTs, doesnt have a black line like the others either, her body is a solid colour. shes really nice looking, i cant get a pic coz my tank has become a jungle. :lol: :lol: :lol: due to all my plants in pots and ferts! i have 4 girls in there plus a pleco, a kuhli, a flying fox and a cory, and i only see the girls unless i go looking, the rest are there, just in the jungle there some where!

im breeding her over a nice male with huge fins (CT ofcourse) he has black fringe on his fins, then a clear fringe, then red and blue solid colour. his body is a deep blue nearly black. make nice babies. got some platnium blue lines on some fins too.

11 week old fighter are blowing nests already!!!!!

im talking about the one that we experimented with he is huge and blowing nests

as is some of the little 11 week olds that i removed to try and catch them up, they are now as big as the rest of the smaller 11 week old batch. there is tiny nests in the container they are in. freaky.

also how do you part with the cute little babies who all look so PRETTY?

make 3 tanks, separate your male fishes into those 3 so that there aren't as many fighting fishes in each of them. Depending on how many fishes you have you might even want to go for 6 tanks. let them fight it out and the fittest will survive instead of culling them.

jokes... xp