How do you clean a planted tank?

js

Hi there

Currently I have a 54 litre gold fish tank, with large stones and ornaments. To clean this out I use a vacumn siphon thingy which works really well.

I am considering getting another larger tank and trying tropical and would really like it to have plants growing in it. I wondering though, how do you clean the tank? Currently I can vacumn mine and just tidy the gravel up again when finished, but I would think you couldn't do that with plants growing in it?

Many thanks for your help.

Julie

Yes you can siphon a planted tank. Try not to disturb the plant roots though. I siphon all the open areas thoroughly, stirring up the gravel as much as possible, then just lightly hold the siphon over the plants, gently pressing down as far as possible without damaging the leaves. How far this is depends on the type of plant. It is always better to only lightly siphon around the plants anyway as they feed on the muck that gathers around the base of each one.

Hi There,

I do things a little different to Caryl.

I simply vax the top of the gravel holding the hose about half to a cm above the gravel.

that way the mulm that is in the gravel stays there and feeds my plants yet and big "chunks" of waste are removed.

Also when putting water back in I make sure it doesnt disturb the gravel to much other wise it kicks up all sorts of muck. Finally it does depend on filtration and types of plants.

Some can handle being disturbed and others cant. I have seen superb plant tanks that get water changes up to the eyeballs and some that never get them so it is all a matter of choice depending on the type of plant and the set up of your tank.

I have a tank that I do about 3-4 water changes a year on...it is heavily planted and lightly stocked and has no filter. I have a bigger tank which is also heavily planted but due to it having several flat expensive round fish I water change it weekly at least an it has a big filter running on it

HTH

Navarre

Thanks for your replies Caryl and Navarre. I really appreciate your help. Think I will definitely give it a go now.

Another question - What are some breeds of tropical fish that are very colourful, and can live with others. I would like some really coloured fish, but don't know much about which varieties there are and who can live with who.

Thanks again.

Julie

GO GUPPIES!!! my fish of choice as they breed fast, has different colours always if you let them breed openly and are usually quite hardy... usually....

LOL I tried livebearers once and they bred so fast I got rid of them ASAP! I gave them and all their little baby fish straight back to the pet shop within a few weeks!

Personally I like cherry barbs and/or gold barbs. They are both peaceful, colourful and hardy schooling fish. They are not too fussy about things like temperature or food and are compatible with every other kind of peaceful community fish. You can also breed them very easily if you choose (although you need another tank so you can stop the parents from eating the eggs).