Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lighting - What tubes should I use?

Featured Replies

Assuming money doesn't come into the equation, what tubes are best for a planted aquarium?

I currently have the following on my 250L 4ft planted tank:

1 x 36" T8 30W 18000K Power Glo tube. (Looks pinkish when on)

1 x 48" T8 40W 18000K Power Glo tube. (Looks pinkish when on)

2 x 36" T5 24W Cool white tubes (other than f748 no real markings to work out details - got it 2nd hand).

Spare:

1 x 36" T8 30W Arcadia FF30 Freshwater tube. (Looks white when on)

The LFS only really stocks Power Glo and Aqua Glo. Both 18000K tubes.

Spectrums:

Power Glo

powerglo%20spectrum.jpg

Aqua Glo

aquaglo%20spectrum.jpg

Arcadia FF30

ff30%20spectrum.jpg

If I believe what the people at LFS's say, they tell me that the Power Glo tubes can't be beaten for both making your fish look good and plant growth. However, they are the more expensive tube and could just be going for a sale. According to them, the aqua glo tubes are a step down from the Power Glo and only go for them if you can't afford the Power Glo.

My real question is, would you get better plant growth using a different kind of tube while still maintaining a good natural light colour in the tank? Do I need to change a tube to provide more red light into the tank? Would using an Aqua Glo tube as well as the Power Glo help in any way? The Aqua Glo has a bit more in the red spectrum than the Power Glo.

I'm also considering getting a marine blue light and running that later in the evening and early in the morning to bring out some of the nocturnal fish. I'd switch off the other lamps and just run that one. Does anyone do this? Does it work?

If money isn't a problem go with either metal halide lights or get solar tubes installed.

Of course you also need to look at what plants you are trying to grow, not all plants do well under extreme lighting.

I think using actinic blue light (this is what marine tanks have) would look funny on a green planted tank. A lot of marine people are using blue LED strips for moon lights, they are cheap from Jaycar or Disksmiths and might give you the look your after.

  • Author

Thanks. I was considering using LEDs for the blue lighting. I might just look into that further today.

With regards to the money thing, I probably should have mentioned that I don't want to replace the light fittings that I have. Would like to know what tubes would work best given the current equipment I have. I might look into MH lighting further down the track.

I used the 18000K tubes on my planted tank, and the results were amazing!

I swear by them now.

for lighting at night- i use a dull marine blue - that way i can see my plecos come out and play

I think using actinic blue light (this is what marine tanks have) would look funny on a green planted tank.

Well I'll have to eat my words. I have my lights on two timer one tubes comes on early and off late. I just swapped the tube for an actinic blue I had laying round, give's a fantastic affect and is staying in there now.

  • Author

Well I'll have to eat my words. I have my lights on two timer one tubes comes on early and off late. I just swapped the tube for an actinic blue I had laying round, give's a fantastic affect and is staying in there now.

Hehe now I'm going to have to decide between LEDs and one of those :P

Which 18000K tubes in particular? Both the Power Glo and Aqua Glo I mentioned are 18000K.

powerglo's.

the marine blue lamps are provide an awesome effect on the plants, if you have brighter lights on at the same time - like powerglos or something.

if used on their own at night - they make the plants look like they have an eerie radioactive glow to them. quite cool really.

the greens look greener under the blue light.

and then some plants start flowering like mental if you expose them to that light at the right times etc...

Hehe now I'm going to have to decide between LEDs and one of those

It's not going to break the bank to try both.

The actinic blue I just added come from an electrical wholesaler and cost me under $10.

Here is a link to dicksmith LED's $12.99, although you would have to find a 12v dc power supply as well.

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4a2b19db013133cc2740c0a87f3b0688/Product/View/Z4271

The combination you have should work well for plant growth if the tubes are not too old. You should get a good mix of red and blue. The tubes may be a lot cheaper from a wholesaler like lamp specialists.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.