Magnetic Algae scrubber

michael.qian

Hi all

What are your experiences with these? Bought one today for almost $20, AquaOne brand.

I'm finding it totally useless. Thinking of asking for a refund. I'm trying to clean green algae from my glass but it's just not working at all.

Bought it from Hollywoods in Mt Roskill, they didn't give me a receipt, I didn't ask for one either, do you think they'll give me a refund without a receipt?

Thanks

I use a an eftpos or credit type card for that. Preferable fly buys or one card or maybe an expired credit card as the card wears down over time. But it works super :). I have one of those magnetic things to and would agree its crap Although I find it really useful to hold tupperware containers with fry in place and stop it floating around everywhere :)

Try the card way it is good. :)

They have never scratched my tanks! :-)

Yes, I have one of those too SG, they good too, but the pressure you have to put on them juss to get the Green Spots off, can be a pain when you have a few tanks to do, lol! But they good to get into the back of ya tank! :bow:

Yeah, I agree that is a bit of a pain. And the straight scraper doesn't do curved corners so well.. :lol:

+1 for the eftpos card.

They are really effective on the hard algae and the biggest plus is they can't scratch your tank. Anything fibrous (scrubber, filterwool, magnetic things) can pick up tiny bits of grit and scratch your tank to bits very easily. Flat-edges won't do that (unless you are being extremely careless)

Unused cards are best as they still have a nice sharp edge. With time they wear down and need replacing.

A bath mitt is the BEST thing for cleaning algae-covered rocks (not all of us can use algae-eaters).