Discus - Small possibly fungal growth on tail

iisfaq

My Discus seem to have a small fungal growth on their tails. It is hard to actually photo but I have tried to take a couple of shots.

fish2.jpg

fish1.jpg

Any ideas what it is, or what can be done?

I put some salt in the water last week but it has not done a lot. I find most chemicals in NZ are pretty useless generally.

Could this be bacterial? or fungal? I know the photos are not the best.

cheers

Chris

Thanks for the advise.

I went away for a month in April 2009

I had a guy come in and do 2 water changes during that time.

I did a water change before I left, he came in at about 10 day intervals and then I returned.

I do not know however what % he did.

I normally do about 65 litres at a time so about 25% water change per week.

I have recently (last weekend) purchased a UV Filter (it sits below the surface and has a small pump) and it looks like it has made the tank clearer.

I will increase my water changes to twice a week.

The tank is about 260 litres from memory and has 6 large discus, and 1 large pleco - 14"

Thanks agian for the advise.

Chris

if you're doing 25% WC I would suggest you do 3 a week especially when you have 6 large discus and a pleco in there.

How about doing even more than 25% but less often?

Generally even twice a week is quite hard work.

Not removing the water but putting it back as it takes me ages to fill a bucket of water to the correct temperature. Our hot water pressure is very low.

DOes the UV filter actually reduce the amount of water changes needed because it destroys more bacteria?

Chris

The UV don't replace your WC i'm afraid. All it does is kill free floating algea cells and bacterials that passes through.

Can you get a drum or a big rubbish bin to adjust the water temp and then pump it into your tank using a pump? That will make life easier :P

You're only doing wc for a tank so shouldn't take you more than 20 mins if you do it that way.

I have to do mere than 50% and some almost 100% wc on about 30 odd tank ranging from 80-650 ltrs of water daily :wink:

Or do what I do :wink:

Make up an attachment to go onto your Kitchen Tap, which is then attached to a length of garden hose which has a piece of aluminium on the end of the Hose to create a hook, hook this over the side of your tank and turn your taps onto the desired temp then fill it up.

Hubby made on of these up for my tanks, and I get water changes done in 15mins on 2 tanks, Discus Tank has water change of usually round 70-80% 2-3 times a week same goes for my community tank.

If you want anymore info on how we made this attachment for the tap I could post piks up on here for you to look at.

Items I used were, an end off a Silicone Tube (not used of course), a couple of hose clips (1 on the tap end and 1 on the hook end of the hose), Garden Hose cut to what ever length is needed, and a perferator to go onto the kitchen tap.

Had Sandy off the forums come to see me and she commented on what a great idea it was for water changes :bounce:

Let me know if your wanting pics :wink:

Lynda

Or do what I do :wink:

Make up an attachment to go onto your Kitchen Tap, which is then attached to a length of garden hose which has a piece of aluminium on the end of the Hose to create a hook, hook this over the side of your tank and turn your taps onto the desired temp then fill it up.

If you want anymore info on how we made this attachment for the tap I could post piks up on here for you to look at.

Items I used were, an end off a Silicone Tube (not used of course), a couple of hose clips (1 on the tap end and 1 on the hook end of the hose), Garden Hose cut to what ever length is needed, and a perferator to go onto the kitchen tap.

Pics would be great - maybe open a new topic and send me a link or reply with the link.

I saw something similar (possibly) on line - see http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html

I like the idea of this product - but seeing pics of yours would be great

The product they are using on there that attaches to the Tap is a Syphoner that is used for Waterbeds.

There's no price either :(

Probably cost me all of $5 to make mine, most of that $5 is for the Garden Hosing.

Will try and set up a topic on it today.

There is a guy in Christchurch on trademe that sells a product called a super sink pump. I have one and it works great. You can syphon or fill a tank using it. It does cost $23.90 though and you still need to get a hose to run to your tank on top of that.

Yea, I was actually in the process of doing a Buy Now on that, then Hubby said "Look when can make something that will do the same thing and cost you next to nothing", so we potted around out in the garage for awhile and thats what we come up with, works great.

It would be great to see how to make one. My dad has a sink pump thing off trade me and loves it but I am still using buckets doing daily water changes sometimes every 2nd day but mostly daily and I just fill one up as im putting one on the tank so I dont have to stop. Man its a pain but gets the job done :)

It depends on the water you have

I once forgot to put conditioner in a 10L bucket full going into a 150L tank. almost instantly, about 10 guppies were doing this:

th_DSCF1635.jpg

This video was taken about an hour after adding the chlorinated water, when they were starting to slow down and die

I always put water conditioner in, unless its rainwater

And yet I know people over the other side of Palmy that don't use anything and they are fine

some petshop staff will try to sell you anything they can but also it might have something to do with your tap water - who knows? When you're filling up your bucket let the water come out fast so there's a lot of splash and movement.

Also some Discus keepers like to stand the water overnight - but I've never had time nor space and mine's pretty sweet

Yea, I was actually in the process of doing a Buy Now on that, then Hubby said "Look when can make something that will do the same thing and cost you next to nothing", so we potted around out in the garage for awhile and thats what we come up with, works great.

Does yours do it both ways fills and empty's?

Does yours have much suction when emptying (the python one says 7:1) but I really do not know what that means?

Chris

I dont use the attachment Hubby made for me to go onto the Tap, for Water Changes, meaning taking the Water out of the Tank, always use my Gravel Vac for that, only use the Hose that attaches straight onto the Tap for refilling my Tank :wink:

I'm sure using The Sypnoner that attaches onto the Tap, is fine if you are only wanting to take water out and put water back into your tank, no good if you are wanting to vaccum the gravel.

I have 7 Discus so I like to Gravel Vac with every water change I do, which is every second day now, as I have asdded a few more Discus to my Tank :bounce: :bounce: