Black Flounder

Stella

excuse me, do you have the flounder in a tank? what size? saltwater to freshwater? coldwater or tropical? how big will the flounder get?

looks so cool!

hes the coolest of the cool fishbreeder :-) all your q's should be answereed in previous posts - except how big: not sure, McDowall (1990) gives max size of around 250-280mm but maybe they are river specimens? Plus it is an old ref - the largest we found in Lake Wairarapa was 380mm total length

Now that's a cool fish! I hate to think what my wife would say if I ever put one of those in the pond! No chance of that mind, I would be happy just spotting 1 in the Hutt River. It amazes me that I never saw this species mentioned on any of the native fish sites I visited when I found my first fish. I'm guessing most people think Flounder = Salt water.

Did I see my name mentioned there Stella :oops:

Unfortunately with all the heavy rain we've had down here of late I haven't really been out to feed my fish other than just a few sprinkles of Vitapet Goldfish granules. Mind you, the few times I have got out at night talk about active! One thing I have noticed is the way the galaxiids school in the evening (esp if I have the pump switched on and the waterfall running) then late at night they are hunting all over the place.

Abigail, how big was the flounder you ate? Do these get as big as Saltwater Flounder?

I wonder if they would take a small Cray if they were big enough? I would have thought Shrimp would be on their menu.

hello preacher :-)

Your pond sounds fabulous - I wish we had a pond, or better still a stream in our backyard...

The one we ate was 380mm, I'm not sure about size compared to saltwater flounder (many species in NZ) although my guess would be that salties are much quicker growing due to greater food availability in NZ marine environmetn vs NZ freshwater environment but thats just a supposition

Thye may very well take crays when they are big enough - we thought shrimp would be a goer as well so brought back a bunch of mysis with him - they gradually disappeared (although there are other fish in with him) but we saw him miss them on multiple occasions... He probably was managing to catch the odd one or two though...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...