Black Flounder

Stella

I just had a cool idea - theres a variety of substrates in the tank and he moves around so I get to play the fabulous game of "where's the flounder?" (his other super power is camo)

I could take pics of him in different positions so you guys could play too :-) hmm although it would involve me having to learn a bit more about photoposting...

thanks for posting pics Stella! although a still does him no justice - seeing him in action is priceless, when he's eating he sticks his wee tail up like a cat :-) and just before he pounces, his whole wee body goes rigid, its hilarious and wonderful :-)

That would be really interesting!

(oh, and we can post video to my youtube site if you have such capabilities. Most of the videos there were just done on my 'still' camera)

Can they change colour or just shade variation?

(I had a torrentfish, which is normally stripey grey, in a red bucket for most of a week, put him back in the tank and he was the strangest pinky-apricot!)

Livingart, do you want to see this damned book finished or not? :P

nice fish abigail :hail:

what is your substrate please

(I hope i got the quote function right)

fine to med sand/gravel from the Lake he was living in, plus large cobbles a broken piece of terracotta and a stick - so far he hasn't sat on the stick but if he does it will be a good day :-) there are macrophytes in there as well but they're mostly to try and get his tank mate (grey mullet) to eat something

Well, the book is going to get some serious work over the next two months, and hopefully get finished. Most of it is sorting out the photos, and a small amount of editing.

Determined not to include flounder in this one as it would require a massive re-write of the whole thing. I am sure there wil be a second edition (but for that, there must be a first edition first! ;))

Abigail, how big is the mullet? What are you feeding the flounder?

mmmmm dinner :lol:

im gunna go floundering this weekend, havnt had a feed of flounder in aaaages

looks like would be a choice pet aswell

Paul-R dont eat this species they dont taste very good (we ate the bigger one in the photo above although I wont be doing so again, but mostly due to the rate that the Lake Wairarapa population has declined - feel a bit guilty now but at least I can pass on the recommendation to go for other flounders (salty ones) for food!

Hi There

Kewl fish

What do you feed and how often?

Will you need to slowly make tank SW?

What is growth like and how big will it get?

Very Kewl Fish

Navarre

hello Navarre

we feed whiteworms and other live food - he has only been in our house for maybe 3 or 4 weeks so much left to establish in terms of feeding regime - seems that it really does need to be moving for him to get his stealth on...

No, fw should be fine

Pretty sure growth research hasn't been done (correct me anyone plus give me reference :-)) my guess is that they will be quite slow growing although depends what kind of trophic level and temp etc they are living in... We actually have 3 adult flounder heads in our freezer until we learn enough about their wacky skull configuration to suss out where the otoliths are!

Well, the book is going to get some serious work over the next two months, and hopefully get finished. Most of it is sorting out the photos, and a small amount of editing.

Determined not to include flounder in this one as it would require a massive re-write of the whole thing. I am sure there wil be a second edition (but for that, there must be a first edition first! ;))

Abigail, how big is the mullet? What are you feeding the flounder?

The mullet is maybe 60 TL? He's going back though in the next couple of days as we haven't been able to get him to eat. In retrospect, next time we would get at least two as we think hes stressed as he has no other mullet to school with (there are some inanga whitebait but hes not too keen). A. has kept greys successfully before but they were living in a group

Go the book - looking forward to seeing it :-)

We actually have 3 adult flounder heads in our freezer until we learn enough about their wacky skull configuration to suss out where the otoliths are!

:lol: You rock!

(I have a couple of 5-6' giant kokopu in the freezer still if you want to help me out with a dissection)

With the mullet, do you mean 60mm? That would be so cute!!!

Have you tried them with ox heart? Preacher here tried it on his native pond for the first time a few months back and it sounded like the first pieces were gone before they hit the ground. Not sure what mullet naturally eat.

:lol: You rock!

(I have a couple of 5-6' giant kokopu in the freezer still if you want to help me out with a dissection)

With the mullet, do you mean 60mm? That would be so cute!!!

Have you tried them with ox heart? Preacher here tried it on his native pond for the first time a few months back and it sounded like the first pieces were gone before they hit the ground. Not sure what mullet naturally eat.

Sorry yes he's 60mm just a wee fulla :-) they are algal grazers in the wild so not sure if a big chunk of ox heart would be what the doctor ordered :-) Although, from memory (which means I'm probably wrong), A. said that his used to take bloodworms

You should have no trouble finding the giant otoliths as their skulls are "normal" - wouold be interesting to compare age/length of wild ones with those that have been fed up on oxheart...

oh and yes they can change colour also although not to a huge degree. Ive got a vid of us tormenting a poor wee flounder in the wild by transferring him from a white bucket to a natural substrate - pretty awesome to watch but vids are 30plus MB - maybe I could put stuff on a cd for you next time I'm up your way