Driftwood

Alienara

Now... I live like 10 mins away from Browns Bay Beach and the other beaches around the north shore of Auckland... If I were to pop down and grab a piece of wood off the beach, how do I know if it's driftwood? If I were to just spray it down would it be alright to go straight into the tank or do I need to quarantine it and do heaps of other stuff to it?

WIth mine I poured boiling water over it every half hour for a couple hours and then soaked it for about a day and then let it dry in the sun and then soaked it for a further 3 days and changed the water with boiling water again daily. No Problems at all.

I was thourough though just in case, :) Gave it a good scrub to. The soaking also helps remove any tannins that are left in it and stops your tank water going brown.

I think It needs to be soaked to stop it from floating?

Now... I live like 10 mins away from Browns Bay Beach and the other beaches around the north shore of Auckland... If I were to pop down and grab a piece of wood off the beach, how do I know if it's driftwood?

The criteria are very extensive and detailed all the following must be true.

A: Is it wood?

B: Does it look like it was drifting in the water at some point?

If I were to just spray it down would it be alright to go straight into the tank or do I need to quarantine it and do heaps of other stuff to it?

Yup, just give it a wash to get any garbage off and throw it in the tank. It'll float for a while, so weigh it down or just let it float around until it sinks.