Livebearer Facts

Pegasus

If you want to know (round about) when your livebearers will drop next, then keep an eye on the gravid spot, (the dark spot near the vent) as this is a good indication of when they will drop... IE:... the darker it gets, the closer she is to dropping.

The prolific little Guppy...

It's known by several different names around the world, and one of these is the "Millions Fish".. which is pretty much right.

Some number cruncher.. many years ago... worked out that if a breeding pair were to produce a brood, and none were lost or eaten, and "they" went on to breed.. again, with no losses... and this continued for a year... with each additional brood breeding plus the rest.... with no losses... then the result would be over 3,000,000 offspring.... Pretty astounding for a little fish.

It is also known for these fish to change sex if there isn't a mate of the oposite sex available.

Regards,

Bill.

im pritty sure that thats a myth peg! about them changing sex!

another way of telling whether or not your livebearer is going to drop, is to look at her at night before you feed her as they tend to get a bit blouted after being fed! from the back she should look squarish! that means that she has pushed the fry to her vent as they are soon to be relised! most fish breed inthe early hours of the day! so if you see these signs put her in a trap etc! and bye the morning you should have babies!

Cheers Shae

to do that you'd have to have a whole tone of virgin ofspring and that is very hard! i im almost 100% sure that that is all a munch of hoohaa! i ave nver read ay facts about it only heard ppl saying things like that on the internet! i have been breeding livbearers for a while now and have never had this happen!

Cheers Shae

im pritty sure that thats a myth peg! about them changing sex!
You seem to be blowing a few bubbles there .. LB.(all wind... no actual experience on this matter)

As stated..

"It is also known for these fish to change sex if there isn't a mate of the oposite sex available

Any breeder that has done selective breeding, line breeding, and the like will verify this, so when you reach this stage, then you can make some factual comment on the subject.

Bill.

Read LB...

http://www.usenet.com/newsgroups/rec.aq ... 00783.html

Further reading shows that there are several cases of this happening, and admittedly many of these so called changes were fish that were just late developers.

One poster (on another site) gave some good info on what this is called...

Hermaphrodite--An organism that possesses both male and female genitalia within the same body

Sexual Dimorphism--Consistent differences between the male and female genders of the same species beyond just basic anatomical genital differences

Protogyny--An organism that starts out female and turns into a male

Protandry--Other way around

True or fact... some of the reading is very interesting if you do a search.

Apparently there are also several Marine Fish that this occurs in.

Bill.

I have had this every so often in my guppy tanks.I have read that higher nitrogen in the water can cause more of the male hormones in the females.I have noted on a few occasions females from my H/B yellow line previously having given birth and stop dropping fry and develope characteristics of a male including becomming more brightly coloured and darkening of the H/B marking in the mid body, slimming and their anal fin turning into a gopodium.I don't know if they would ever be abble to sire offspring but sex change does happen.

The little spotties kids catch near and around a warf are a classic case of what fins is talking about.If the male of a patch dies the largest female starts to pick on the other females in the bunch.Over time the female that is not stressed and is doing the picking turnes into a male and will sire any offspring the other females have.It is beleived that stress keeps females female and a lack of stress lets the fish become more dominant and let the male hormones come out in the fish.

but not everyhting you read on the internet bill is true!

Quite true LB, but I can't see anywhere where anyone above said it was, but only said it was interesting reading.

i im almost 100% sure that that is all a munch of hoohaa!

Sorry LB.. but how can you be almost 100% sure.

i ave nver read ay facts about it only heard ppl saying things like that on the internet!

Again sorry, but how can you hear people on the net without reading..?

i have been breeding livbearers for a while now and have never had this happen!
Obviously more years than the rest of the people who know this is a fact. :)

It also happens among Cichlids... but hey... let's not get into that hey :):)

Bill.

When you have lived for as long as many of here have kept fish LB you may have a better idea of fact and fiction. I too have had a female sword produce fry and then turn into a male. I assure you it is a well known phenomenon in the animal world. :wink:

Be an interesting way to get big swordtails, if I remember right male swordtails are smaller, aren't they? Grow up a big female in a tank with males then throw her in a tank of just females, swap to male and you've got a freakishly big male.:) Just like you had, Alan.

Just something I thought.;)