How long can these things go without eating?

skippy_49nz

I have some King Tigers which have great looking tails... I don't see much else of them. I've had them a couple of weeks now and they just don't eat. Ive tried shrimp pellets, cichlid crumbles, flake food, bloodworms... they just don't seem interested. How long would it typically be before they settle in and start to eat? I'm putting food in at lights out and in the morning the food is still there. I know they can take a little while to settle, but should I be concerned?

They're shy when they're small. Give them a few months to settle in, and leave them alone. Feed them a variety, and give them lots of places to hide. Eventually, they'll come out. They will be getting food, but they're pretty sneaky and you won't see them do it. When I first got my L270s, I didn't see them for 4 months. Now they're out all the time and look great.

I have them in a nice dark tank away from too much daily traffic in the house but not right out of the way completely. I see one is borrowing under the wood and building a nice little home there so hopefully they are starting to settle in and will eat a bit in time. They do seem super sneaky so it might just be a tense and nervous time until they have been around for about a month and by then they will be dead if they're not eating so I will assume they are ok if they are still swimming. I'm so used to bristlenoses and red/gold spots which eat like machines! ... with terrible "exhaust"...

L270's, is that chocolate zebras? what are they like? I've been thinking about getting a couple. I could have got some when I got the king tigers... but finances constrain me! I wouldn't mind having a carnivore pleco tank set up with a couple of king tigers, couple of chocolate zebras and maybe a couple of queen arabs or something... that is of course if they do eat...

L270's, is that chocolate zebras? what are they like? I've been thinking about getting a couple. I could have got some when I got the king tigers... but finances constrain me! I wouldn't mind having a carnivore pleco tank set up with a couple of king tigers, couple of chocolate zebras and maybe a couple of queen arabs or something... that is of course if they do eat...

Yup they're choc zebras. Great fish. I'm gonna take a look at them and try to sex them soon, and maybe find them a mate.

I've had mine for several months now and still rarely see them. They only come out later in the evening when its quiet and stay well under cover like under the low leaves of the plants or under the driftwood. Any sudden movement and they're gone. I used to worry about them eating but they are growing slowly. Mine eat the shrimp pellets and the discus pellets that I drop in. I make sure some lands behind the driftwood just for them.

Yours will be eating and you'll probably need to be patient. They will appear.

My Bristlenose male is a big wuss. He will come out of his cave and charge around like a big bully but as soon as he sees me move, he's out of there. If a fish is hungry, it will eat, eventually. Give them time to settle in and get used to their new home.

Good luck

how do the L270's do in a community tank with bristlenoses and swordtails? Will they be able to get enough to eat? I think they are more omnivorous than L066 but not sure if they will accept spirulina tabs for the bristlenoses or need their own food which they might be too slow to get at.

In my community tank I have 6 discus, 40+ rummynose, cardinals, 9 sterbai corys, hatchets, 1 large 10cm male bn, king tiger plec, tiger plec and chocolate zebra.

They all exist peacefully, everyone manages to get food. I feed bloodworms, shrimp pellets, spirulina discs and tropical granules plus have driftwood in the tank and they are all plump and healthy. I just make sure that the food is spread throughout the tank i.e. behind the driftwood and plants so they can eat in private if they wish.