Feasibility of a Really big tank...

elusive_fish

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but there is a very large tank on auction at this stage - 8ft x 2.6ft x 2.6ft in 10mm glass. Its a monster. I'm interested mainly because I am currently putting in an offer on a cafe and think it would look truly spectacular as a feature in the place. I just can't quite come to grips with a couple of things...

1/ It has a broken bottom pane of glass so it would hve to be repaired. I will try and find out how much it would cost to replace - but anyone want to hazard a guess?

2/ How on earth would you move it?

3/ What kind of heaters, filters, light etc would you need for this behemouth? I'd imagine filtration can't be as bad for a huge tank as you would never stock it close to its technical capacity.

The auction closes in 12 hours and I have no idea whether this is agreat opportunity or a very dumb thing to consider :)

Any input would be appreciated!

Base would probably need to be something like 2 layers of 12mm. Probably cost you a grand or so. 10mm glass is FAR too thin. According to the glass thickness calculator 10mm will give you a safety factor of exactly 1, that's right on the breaking point.

http://fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=glass3

Move it with lots and lots of help.

Heaters...Probably 3-4 300 watt heaters would be enough, 2-3 fluval Fx-5s for filtration and a couple metal halides or a whole bunch of fluoros for lighting.

Its not a dumb thing to consider - well maintained aquariums look awesome in cafes and other public places - it would be a point of interest and probably a bit of a crowd puller (assuming the muffins and coffee is nice too, lol).

I think IRA is right - Im amazed it was made of 10mm glass, especially considering it was made by a "reputable" aquarium manufacturer. The shop that made it used to make tanks of all sizes. Have a word with bubble_squeak profile on here :)

The money thats on that tank at the moment is pretty good and the glass has got to be worth the current bid - but it depends on what you want to spend on the rest of it. If you act quick and talk to the right people early tomorrow morning you will have time to consider your bid. I look forward to seeing the finished article if you decide to go ahead.

ive bid on it

im thinking it is only 600mm high by looking at the pic.

it will make a nice aro tank.

I thought he said in the questions and answers that its 2' 6" tall - well he actually said 2.6' (which would make it 2' 7 1/2") Not being pedantic but think this would make a difference.

he said he thinks its 2 1/2 foot tall.

i highly doubt critter kingdom would have built it 750mm with 10mm glass as they would have known it would not be safe.

Thats true - i agree - the owners at the time had an excellent reputation (not meaning the new owners dont of course, lol)

I thought he said in the questions and answers that its 2' 6" tall - well he actually said 2.6' (which would make it 2' 7 1/2") Not being pedantic but think this would make a difference.

Its annoying when people arent that clear in their listings. I asked that question under my wifes account name and still feel like I don't know the answer.

Id LOVE to put this in the cafe, it would look spectacular as a big malawi tank. But I guess Im going to have more than enough to keep me occupied over the next month and having to get a mammoth tank fixed is another headache I could do without :(

I hope it comes out nicely for anyone else who plans on bidding.

Its annoying when people arent that clear in their listings. I asked that question under my wifes account name and still feel like I don't know the answer.

Id LOVE to put this in the cafe, it would look spectacular as a big malawi tank. But I guess Im going to have more than enough to keep me occupied over the next month and having to get a mammoth tank fixed is another headache I could do without :(

I hope it comes out nicely for anyone else who plans on bidding.

To be honest is getting a big tank fixed any more of a hassle than a small one ? If you get someone like Bob at Redwoods to do the work he would probably be able to collect it and fix it then bring it to your cafe. You've got three hours, lol - make a few calls. He may even have the necessary glass knocking around. A cichlid tank ? I was thinking more manta rays, lol.

Do people know that you are actually allowed to post a link to trademe for an item you are genuinely interested in purchasing, or is everyone living in fear of the banstick? :-?

I'm not sure if you won it or how much it cost, but I'll answer your questions anyway;

1. Enough to make it not with while IMO. Unless the tank is free its not worth the risk, and even then I'd be reluctant. That is a HUGE volume of water and weight you are dealing with, why risk it when you could get a brand new glass tank made for around $500 depending on specs.

2. With strong people, a large van/truck and some josters (suction cup handle things).

3. I'd go for 2-3 300W Jager heaters, depending on where it will be and how warm the room is. If its not drilled for a sump/trickle filter you could use a few big canisters, but IMO a sump would be the best option by far. (Another advantage of getting a new tank made).

The safety factor is the ratio of the tank's strength to the breaking point. A safety factor of 3 means it can handle 3 times the force on it from the water before breaking. A safety factor of 1 means it can only handle exactly the forces on it before breaking, any more will break it. In an ideal world a tank with an exactly 1 safety factor would break if a fish bumped into the glass.

Not sure how elusive got on with his bid and I dont know about 2.6937eleven or 38 to the power of fourteen but I would think that with the people who make tanks in this city and the prices they charge that it would be cheaper, more conveinient and SAFER for a public display tank to get one custon built. Especially if you are going to have a sump etc.

Nice tank size tho.

Let me know where your cafe is once open you can shout me a coke. Ill do you a deal on fish...lol

LOL

Navarre

I have built a lot of tanks and repaired a few. Repairing tanks is an absolute pain in the posterior and A lot of people (including me)will charge you heaps to try and avoid doing it. It is therefore often better to get one built as a second hand one can also be scratched or chipped (which considerably weakens it). I had one biult recently which was a bit fancy (a terrarium with vents and holes drilled for wiring) and I am sure the finished price was less than I could have bought the glass for.

I have built a lot of tanks and repaired a few. Repairing tanks is an absolute pain in the posterior and A lot of people (including me)will charge you heaps to try and avoid doing it. It is therefore often better to get one built as a second hand one can also be scratched or chipped (which considerably weakens it). I had one biult recently which was a bit fancy (a terrarium with vents and holes drilled for wiring) and I am sure the finished price was less than I could have bought the glass for.

How do you mean it was less than you could have bought the glass for? Did you use glass that you already had, or do you have a secret supply? :)

Not sure how elusive got on with his bid and I dont know about 2.6937eleven or 38 to the power of fourteen but I would think that with the people who make tanks in this city and the prices they charge that it would be cheaper, more conveinient and SAFER for a public display tank to get one custon built. Especially if you are going to have a sump etc.

Nice tank size tho.

Let me know where your cafe is once open you can shout me a coke. Ill do you a deal on fish...lol

LOL

Navarre

I didn't bid. I was nervous about the glass thickness and repairing and the general response on here confirmed that. I just might put a nice display tank in the cafe... so I might be asking some more advice on that soon. Especially around design... I know nothing about sumps. I just need to make sure I still have money in the budget for the necessities before I spend any on a tank. "sorry, we don't have an espresso machine yet... but you're welcome to stay and look at my display tank" :)

Maybe something around 6"x2"x2" would be a better idea. Or maybe something longer with a smaller cross section.

I already owe you coffee for a year for the friendly advice and great fish deals you've given me so far!

i'd choose a cafe with a big tank over a plain cafe, but it would have to have small interesting fish and plants, and be somewhere you could see it while drinking your coffee. And i'd want it to have very strong glass because my kids would be trying to touch it and tap it the whole time.

You would need to weigh up the difference between the people that the aquarium would attract and the 8 seats that will not fit in because of it.

The place I'm looking at is 115 sqm - its pretty big. And the space is very poorly utlilised. If I can find a place a tank would look awesome in, without interfering too much with practicality I just might do it. At that point I think ill have to start another thread to gather ideas :)