help with taking photos of fish?

twinkles

I have a half decent camera, fujifilm finepix s5600, but can never get good pics of my fish. With the flash on auto they come out too bright/white and you can't see the colours on the fish (overexposed?) and with it turned off the camera wont focus on anything moving and i just get rainbow blurs of light where the fish are. Can anyone suggest a better setting for the camera, or way of taking photos, or do i need a better camera?

I use the macro setting, and it focus's lovely when the flash is on, just wish it would do the same with it off. If i have the room dark and tank lights on the flash still goes, and can't turn it down. What's the iso setting?

You want the flash as strong as possible, as long as it's not visible reflecting off the glass. This is why you press the lense against the glass. Then manually set the shutter and aperature. Longer shutter lower aperature=darker, more streaks from movement but wider depth of focus.

i think the main problem was i was letting the camera move too much, tried sitting it on the front of the tank stand and suddenly it focus's quicker :)

Took a heap of photos of my daughters tank, since i can make the room dark easily, but it only has a tiny light at the moment, photos still heaps better though.

Here's mister killie, ignore the reflection of the camera lol

DSCF5892.JPG

and some guppies

DSCF5916.JPG

and all i could get of the snakeskin boy was a dissapearing tail,

DSCF5896.JPG

so who can tell me how to teach him to sit still?

I'm very happy, the photos are far from perfect but 100 times better than what i was getting before, will keep practising.

Awesome! To reduce the glare, angle the camera a little bit.

I'm building a thin, short tank so the fish can't swim anywhere to put them in to take photos of them. My dad's an avid photographer and has the patience to take good photos - me, not so much.

lmsmith, i've got a couple of decent photos before using a glass, keeps them relativly still. Would be interested to see how your little photo tank turns out :)

The one time i put a killie in the glass to take a photo of him, he did nothing but try to jump out, i put him back into the tank very quickly lol.