so what's the deal with bristlenoses ?

BikBok

lsmith wrote:

The male has actually figured out to turn upside down on the bottom of the tank and let me drop shrimp pellets right on his mouth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And I suppose you have to hand him the remote too :lol: :lol:

Caper

here he is.. Sometimes I can't see him I look for the little white tip tail which he uses to explore cavities before going in .. so cute!

BikBok-pleccysb4eb-0u1.jpg

So there seems to be different types of BNs.. does anyone know what i have?

I got two when they were about 3-4cms long, turned out to be a pair. They've bred twice, regularly chase each other and go nuts for cucumber. The big male is a bit scary but he's more nervous than the little female. They live quite happily in a 3 foot tank but don't seem to eat alage. Interesting fish to keep.

mine is sucking over everything .. there's not a surface in the tank he doesn't go over and he's very active. Loves cucumber and peas. But he's being a nuisance to the kuhlis and they don't come out as much ..

The kuhlis come out for food but the BN moves in takes control. ... even if we drop it in two diffetrent spots, he'll cruise between the two!! That's if my greedy "miss Piggy" - a pregnant guppy hasn't stolen it first lol.

Can just watch them for ages.. very amusing.

i can watch mine for ages too

i had a 3 foot tropical tank years ago and it had a pleco the size a 12 shoe

it use to sit there ppl thought it was a rock i remember one lady screaming when it jumped up and sucked on the glass lol

i had that for about 10 years it was WEIRD lol

• 2 weeks later...

My big bristle nose died the other day. Probably a little over a year old, I came home to find him on the bottom with pretty much all his skin stripped off (thanks to other fish). Stink too he was the big and funky to look at. And now I think my lemon tetras have some sort of disease :(

My big bristle nose died the other day. Probably a little over a year old, I came home to find him on the bottom with pretty much all his skin stripped off (thanks to other fish). Stink too he was the big and funky to look at. And now I think my lemon tetras have some sort of disease

Oh dear ! :(

did he change in appearance at all before you found he had died? What's wrong with the tetras?

My BN has now been banished to the Hexy tank where he has to share it with a not so shy Betta. (who comes and stares him out) At first he went really pale and dull in colour but now he's lookign great.

The Kuhlis are venturing out more now that he's gone and haven't been scared up the filter. My female Betta is in that tank and she is quiet intrigued by them but isn't bossing thme around like the BN was. She will come and sit on them though lol

I have 3 BN's - 1 at work and 2 at home.

I am pretty sure the one at work is a male and he lives in a cool water tank (has a heater set at its lowest) with 2 young goldfish. He is around 12cm long. He keeps the algae WAY down. Used to have to clean the tank constantly - but since having him in there we have not had to clean the tank at all, except for water changes and top ups. Every now and again he gets grumpy and attacks the goldfish suckering their faces - he killed a few before we realised what he was doing!! However he has been really calm since we added more rocks for him to hide in and divided the tank for around 6months.

Have found the males kept on their own can get a bit aggro. The male at home was removed from his girlfriend and put into my mums tank with her long finned gold rams and he suckered its face/eye, eventually the infection killed the gold ram :( Suckd too cos was about to attempt breeding the ram (not balloons!).

The female i have had no probs with at all - o except occasionally she likes to pull leaves off one of my plants :)

Other than this they are one of the coolest fish. The one at work is called Mr B and we have a note on the tank asking people to spot him - people spend ages looking for him :lol:

Oh dear ! :(

did he change in appearance at all before you found he had died? What's wrong with the tetras?

My BN has now been banished to the Hexy tank where he has to share it with a not so shy Betta. (who comes and stares him out) At first he went really pale and dull in colour but now he's lookign great.

The Kuhlis are venturing out more now that he's gone and haven't been scared up the filter. My female Betta is in that tank and she is quiet intrigued by them but isn't bossing thme around like the BN was. She will come and sit on them though lol

No I didn't notice anything about my BN before I found him dead. Not sure whats up with the tetras, some of them is a bit white around its nose, I had some others with the same thing that died about 1 month or 2 ago as well