car GPS

Barrie

I had a Navman & traded it for a Garmin (which I selected after much research).

I t has the wide screen and as well as telling me to turn right in xxx meters it also tells me the street name, my Navman never gave the street name (maybe newer models do now).

The other handy thing is it has bluetooth connectability with my cellphone ... it acts as a handsfree kit.

And all this will run straight from the battery, if reqd, for many hours ... my Navman had to be plugged into the lighter socket all the time (and also had lots of trouble initially locating satellites when first turned on).

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth .....

Our Navman tells us how many meters (or yards and miles at the moment since we are in the UK) to go and names the streets. We have also been running it on battery as we put it into walking mode when out of the car. It has been very handy.

Today we hit trouble when we wanted to see the White Scar Cave. The directions on the pamphlet (which always leave a lot to be desired!) said it was 1 1/2 miles from Ingleton on the B6255 road to Hawes. When we put in Ingleton it came up with 2 options so Grant picked the first one as he thought the county was correct (it matched the miles Google gave us when we were checking distances the night before). Well, we finally got to Ingleton but it was the wrong one! If we loaded Inglton in, it thought we were there (which, of course, we were) so we put in Hawes. We got there in the end but from the opposite direction! We ended up driving through the middle of the Yorkshire Dales and some very narrow country lanes. Never mind, we saw a lot of lovely country we would not otherwise have seen :roll:

It also got confused on the way home as, even though the maps are less than 12 months old, they have been building many many roundabouts (and then put traffic lights in the middle of them as well) and it put us on a road right beside the new one then tried to make us go round in circles in a never ending loop. We quickly realised they had realigned the road and took the next exit which immediately got us back on track. :lol: