Take a Guess ID and How MANY !!

Johannes Visser

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know what strain but here is a picture of the them, They are not very big male is prob 5cm female 4.5cm

They have been in the shell for a few days now Johannes did a gravel vack and saw one fry ! removed the shell and HEY lot more come out :bounce: :bounce: lets hope we can get them bigger :roll: :wink:

fish033.jpg

Awesome news guys! Were these the ones from Maine? They bred quite small and had lots of babies!

I am sure you will have no problems raising them :) From what I have heard the hardest thing is the 9months before they are sellable at 2cm, but well wroth the wait.

If you can take a few better photos of the parents, I should be able to have a good enough stab & what type of calvus they are. Or at least place a pic up on the cichlid forum.

You should be able to get the fry up to size in 6 months. Plenty of food & water changes.

good luck with raising them, always cool to see someone breeding altos. Watch how they develop as they grow.

ps; parents always that colour?

Frenchy :D

From what I have heard the hardest thing is the 9months before they are sellable at 2cm, but well wroth the wait.

If people buy them that is, will be interesting to see what the going rate will be considering none of the "super-keen" people are willing to buy the ones at Hollywood, or even make an offer...

If people buy them that is, will be interesting to see what the going rate will be considering none of the "super-keen" people are willing to buy the ones at Hollywood, or even make an offer...

I would imagine Johannes will not try to sell them at the same scandalous price the ones are on offer from Hollywood for. And I would hope Hollywood would also not be silly enough to pay the price they did again, thus forcing themselves into the position of having to charge what they have. As Ryan has said, the hardest thing is getting them to a safe size and I understand the ones in the store are barely there. Too much of a risk at that price - even if you are "super-keen" or even "super-douper-keen" :lol: :lol:

you all sould know by now we always keep the first batch of fry :bounce:

Yes I know what you thinking what the hell do you want to do with a 100 fish well :roll:

We would like to set up a dispay tank full of Alto calvus nice bit of wood and lots of plants would be super cool :bounce:

you all sould know by now we always keep the first batch of fry :bounce:

Yes I know what you thinking what the hell do you want to do with a 100 fish well :roll:

We would like to set up a dispay tank full of Alto calvus nice bit of wood and lots of plants would be super cool :bounce:

Thats alright - the second batch should not be long behind the first, (hopefully hehe) Cant wait to see a tank full of 100 Calvus though - with a few marlieris or leleupi to give a cool colour contrast hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Did ya place a pic up at the cichlid forum? They are to light to be blacks. Very similar colour to me whites.

This pic is a year old, he isnt as nice anymore, he doesn't whiten up like he used too. His own fault! Bastard!

whitecalvustank220507030.jpg

An older pic when a yougen

DSCF1954.jpg

I heard the price, if anyone can jump on the wholesale price I would buy 6 straight away. I would be worried about the 2cm, as that could be to small to buy as a risk. Cheaper than what they were here when they first came into QLD.

Frenchy :D