Making a tank lid

Aquatopia

Hi,

I am going to make a wooden lid for my tank to match (as close as poss) the black cabinet stand it is on. Simple box design with the front 2/3 of the top being a hinged opener. Supports on the inside that will sit on top of my tank and the outside walls will slot over the sides of the tank and cover the top 1.5-2" of glass, hiding the waterline and the lights etc.

Question - do I get veneer covered particle board and use iron-on edging for the cut parts ? Or do I do same but paint the exposed parts ? Or is it better to buy plain wood (if so which type), and paint the whole thing ? What paint is safe and water resistant ?

Thanks

I personally would use ply and paint it. Any paint will be fine but to be safe use an aqua enamel (bathroom paint).

On the last lid I made I used ply and a can of silver paint (silver to reflect light on the inside)

Whats the difference between ply and particle board (MDF) ? Im thinking a gloss finish would be good.

Ply board is sheets of wood glues together

Particle board is chunks of wood glued together

MDF is mashed up wood that is then glued

The benefit of Ply is that the side all one sheet of wood and the water is not able to get to the glue. Particle & MDF dose not like water and will end up like wet bread

Ply board is sheets of wood glues together

Particle board is chunks of wood glued together

MDF is mashed up wood that is then glued

The benefit of Ply is that the side all one sheet of wood and the water is not able to get to the glue. Particle & MDF dose not like water and will end up like wet bread

Lol, I didnt mean whats the difference quite so litterally - I know how they are both made, but thanks for the comprehensive answer. I meant whats the difference between using either if they are both going to be sealed by paint ? Either way, water should not get in unless the paint chips ? Or am I missing something ? Thanks.

Lol, I didnt mean whats the difference quite so litterally - I know how they are both made, but thanks for the comprehensive answer. I meant whats the difference between using either if they are both going to be sealed by paint ? Either way, water should not get in unless the paint chips ? Or am I missing something ? Thanks.

Sorry after 5 years working in a hardware store (thankfully not there now) it is an assumption that people need to be told

Also the glue used in ply is water proof but the glue in MDF/Particle board is not

Sorry after 5 years working in a hardware store (thankfully not there now) it is an assumption that people need to be told

Also the glue used in ply is water proof but the glue in MDF/Particle board is not

now that i didnt know - thanks. can u tell me if any old spray gloss is ok to use ?

I think the glue used in all those products is urea formaldehyde and it leaches formaldehyde when warmed up. You need to seal it very well to prevent this leaching as well as preventing water ingress. I have just today finished building a terrarium from 12mm ply and have applied undercoat and two coats of water based enamel to seal it.

I think the glue used in all those products is urea formaldehyde and it leaches formaldehyde when warmed up. You need to seal it very well to prevent this leaching as well as preventing water ingress. I have just today finished building a terrarium from 12mm ply and have applied undercoat and two coats of water based enamel to seal it.

did the enamel give you a smooth finish Alan ? Is it expensive ?

I have used about 1.5 litres @ about $45/litre because it is a double decker 1600x600x600 painted inside and out. You will need way less than that. Turps based enamels are probably going to wear better but I was just taking the lazy way to clean brushes. I tried breeding locusts in a glass aquarium with a customwood lid and a light bulb and had little success which I put down to the formaldehyde. Changed the containers and hey presto.

• 2 weeks later...
from what ive read u have ur lights under the lid (ofcourse) what are they attached to? id like to make my own lid but how do i set up lights in it? i want normal lights for plants and a spot light one one place for the bbs feeds.

any ideas?

why not use a 12v 20w halogen light for the spotlight compact and easy and safer to wire up

where do i get an underwater light? and can i get different colours ?such as blue?

does underwater lighting not "go" with natural plants and driftwood?

i was thinking of a two layer tank and thought underwater lighting would allow the bottom to be seen easier.

where do i get an underwater light? and can i get different colours ?such as blue?

does underwater lighting not "go" with natural plants and driftwood?

i was thinking of a two layer tank and thought underwater lighting would allow the bottom to be seen easier.

Guys I think this lighting discussion might best be dealt with as a separate post please.

Dont use turps based paint unless you like it stinking for weeks after painting and it being very soft.

Get lacquer if you can - drys fast, nice and full of really volitile solvents which evaporate _fast_ - you are supposed to spray it but if you are really fast you can do it with a brush or small roller, just have heaps of thinners and put some more in every few minuits.

Also there is a BIN sealer that is good fast dryer.

Just do it away from the house with a good mask since the fumes are nasty.

Dont use turps based paint unless you like it stinking for weeks after painting and it being very soft.

Get lacquer if you can - drys fast, nice and full of really volitile solvents which evaporate _fast_ - you are supposed to spray it but if you are really fast you can do it with a brush or small roller, just have heaps of thinners and put some more in every few minuits.

Also there is a BIN sealer that is good fast dryer.

Just do it away from the house with a good mask since the fumes are nasty.

Im actually thinking of using pine now and sealing it with a clear gloss stain. Any suggestions on that ?

Would look good

I hope so - I have a BLACK stand though, so will look odd to start but I intend to sell it and build a new Pine stand too using solid 1" Pine. I can get 2050mm x 830mm for $48.00 (Is that a good price) ?