Help Beardie got burned

chilli

well my young one went and burnt him self on the ceramic bulb :-? (must of jumped to it)

the burn looked ok and was starting to shed around it but today its abit pussy around the burn

(he got burnt under his chin between his front legs)

what should i do,put on it,or leave it

ill search google now too

I think you should take it to the vet ! Just because it is a reptile does not mean you should not seek veterinary advice - or at least phone them to see what they say ?? Im sure he would have cost you as much as some pedigree cats or dogs, and you would be taking them to the vets if they got burned wouldnt you ? :wink:

I think you should take it to the vet ! Just because it is a reptile does not mean you should not seek veterinary advice - or at least phone them to see what they say ?? Im sure he would have cost you as much as some pedigree cats or dogs, and you would be taking them to the vets if they got burned wouldnt you ? :wink:

yeh i no,just thought id ask hear first coz not many vets hear see reptiles,thats why i also phone ozie vets since they see them everyday

plus auckland zoo was very helpful too and told me what meds to tell my vet to use :)

yeh i no,just thought id ask hear first coz not many vets hear see reptiles,thats why i also phone ozie vets since they see them everyday

plus auckland zoo was very helpful too and told me what meds to tell my vet to use :)

Any of the zoos that keep reptiles would also be in a good position to advise :-) Good luck, hope the burn is not so deep it causes anything serious.

the vet said water it down

no,livingart no burnt feet i dont know how he did it but he has been trying to jump out stank when lid open and ive seen him jump up to the uv too

i put more wood in for him to climb

i think he is bored cause i havent taken him out much this week due to us packing and me being sick

but he getting lots of tlc now

this time next week he will be running around the new place checking it out

he is such a busy beardie and yes eats ALL the time

he cant lick it so thats good and i used a cotton ear bud to aply it

theres not much pus there but its there so i dont want it getting infected

cant put photo on coz i packed the cords away

but he seams not bothered ill keep you all up dated on how it clears up

Cotton buds for the win....

Sounds like you're on to it, though watch for any sign of infection, or any lethargy, or lack of appetite... I imagine Beardies are another one of those creatures that can hide being sick quite well.

Cotton buds for the win....

Sounds like you're on to it, though watch for any sign of infection, or any lethargy, or lack of appetite... I imagine Beardies are another one of those creatures that can hide being sick quite well.

yeh he has always been a great little eater so if he doesnt eat ill no some thing is very wrong

if it was my other bd it would be harder to tell coz she is lazy and fussy most of the time

some reps sense of being burnt is almost non existant

skin on feet is thicker than skin on chest, hopefully it hit the bulb and dropped straight away, so not a deep burn

problem with infection will be if or when dead skin peels away

what substrate is it housed on?

Hi Chilli, Sorry to hear about Iris. Calypso got burnt from his heat lamp when he was little and the vet said to use iodine, so you are definately on the right track. I dabbed it on with a cotton bud. They are such a worry these little critters, but they are worth every ounce of it. Take care. :)

Incidentally, is there a way you can protect him from doing the same again ? Some sort of cage around the ceramic heater perhaps ? I think I have seen that sort of thing in the past. Just an idea :wink:

yeh i have a cage for the water dragons but as living art side iris climbs on it

ps he looks alot better today its not weeping.