Aquaone syphon that won't suck

crazyzoo

I have one of those big Aquaone syphon/vacuum things but tried to use it today and it sounded like it was sucking in air, but no water......I noticed it has a little valve in it which I moved manually to the open and close position to try to get the thing to suck but still didn't work. Do these things just give up the ghost after a while or can it be fixed? Its had about a years use on 3 tanks.

Use your mouth

yuk been there drunk that :-? lol

Ill never put my lips on a siphon again (taken enough taste tests in the past).

Not sure how the aquaone works as never seen them but i just use a hose and fill it with water then put one end in tank one out and away it goes..

or place hose on the end of a filter outlet etc

hth

i agree, lol. i mean you have gravity on your side.

occasionally you will get a mouthful (my god this sounds wrong) but all you need is that initial flow and it gets going.

I have never liked the idea of shaking a huge piece of plastic around in my tanks so i have been using my mouth to start the siphon since i started fishkeeping, and only once in the past 2 years have i had a mouthfull of fishwater(made me vomit and i hadnt eating in 24 hours) and that was when i used the garden hose :lol:

I have never liked the idea of shaking a huge piece of plastic around in my tanks so i have been using my mouth to start the siphon since i started fishkeeping, and only once in the past 2 years have i had a mouthfull of fishwater(made me vomit and i hadnt eating in 24 hours) and that was when i used the garden hose :lol:

Wait until you suck on the outlet of a cannister filter and get a mouthful of that gunk that always gets spit out from them.

I will definitely be getting another one....today! My tanks need a water change and I'm not swallowing the fish waste :x As for pumping up and down...once you have it figured it only takes a couple of very quick movements to get started....it doesn't bother my fish at all :D

All sorted....someone who worked at Animates was unusually helpful! She suggested I put a bottle brush into the valve to clean out algae round the internal bearings (not that you could see it), but it actually worked...yeh haaa....more money to spend on fish, not appliances :bounce:

I will definitely be getting another one....today! My tanks need a water change and I'm not swallowing the fish waste :x As for pumping up and down...once you have it figured it only takes a couple of very quick movements to get started....it doesn't bother my fish at all :D

It wasn't the fish that were being bothered, I didn't like the way the pumping/shaking action would disturb all the debris sitting on the gravel. Bit hard to vacuum the stuff up when its floating around the tank!

Maybe I was just doing it wrong..

all you have to do is put the siphon in your tank at a 45 degree angle or so.. so that the sucky end fills up with water and that fills the chamber. then when its filled up with water, presto the water should start flowing out the pipe into hopefully a bucket or the lawn and not your carpet :lol:

if it does not start siphoning at first, you need to shake the pipe gently only to get rid of that trapped air bubble. there should be no dirt being uplifted from the base of the tank.

If you hold the pipe up so one end is in the water and the other is above the water line then suck on the pipe till it is almost full (use a clear pipe :D ) then put your finger over the end to stop the water rushing back out in to the tank... Then all you do is lower the pipe to your bucket and remove your finger. Water will start flowing

Guaranteed to never get a mouth full because gravity is trying to pull the water away from you