Beginner’s section required in saltwater forum

reef

There is a beginners forum on this site.

I doubt there is enough people posting on the saltwater forum now to justify another forum. How many people regulary post on here 7? 10? Not many.

A tank pics section is not really possibe at the moment as the FNZAS have no disk space to store photos. We could get a global moderator to add a 'sticky' post for 'tank pics' 'fish pics' 'coral pics' which wouldn't be a bad idea.

Pies

In a couple of months (once uni has finished for the year) I'm going to completely redo my site reefcentral.co.nz to include this sort of stuff, along with (hopefully) plenty of space for people to upload their pics. Maybe a profile page for peoples tanks. with image gallery.

If anyone wants contribute some content of any type, send it to me: [email protected], and I'll hopefully include it in the update (unless it's crap ;-) )

Layton

pic's section is not a problem if you point your image to a URL on your own site (rather than using fnzas as an upload site) still believe there should be a larger differential between freshies and salties. I think some sections could be taken out of the "Aquarium Advice" forum:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/index.php

Chim said,

I think some sections could be taken out of the "Aquarium Advice" forum:
And "personally" I think that very few.. (either fresh or saltwater) would welcome THIRTY SIX different forums, as your recommended site has.

I also think that most members that use the Saltwater Section are relatively new to the hobby, and as pointed out, there would only be a couple of handfuls of them, so why split it... after all, it is doing a great job as it is.. as far as I can see.

I've been with freshwater fish for almost fifty years.. but "every" day is a new start to me, as there is always something new to learn, so in a way we are all "beginners" in one way or another, but we don't expect special sections for every aspect of our hobby on every forum we visit.

Regards,

Bill.

Yep...

and you actually wasted your time counting them all

Just like I waste my time reading most of the posts in the Marine Section here... but don't keep marines :)

You guys have a great section here for "everything" you want to talk about, and "yes".. it is getting a lot of posts each day.. so why not build on the base that is there "already" for you, and post articles for beginners that will take them through the hurdles they will face. YOU all have the means to make the section grow without resorting to a seperate forum.

What about some FNZAS Fishroom feedback links to all these fancy forums you visit..?

These forums were built on a need.. a specific need.. where each forum has a purpose, which is why Cees gave you guys the Marine Section.

Don't complain... make it grow.. encourage others to come here, and when the "need" arises then.. who knows :)

Regards,

Bill.

Having a beginner section and a few others like diy will make it easier to find posts/information as at the moment the posts are growing and it is hard to go and back track and find all the info.

The saltwater section is going to get bigger than the freshwater section the way it is going.

We are only interested in adding a few more sections. if everyone paid five dollars to join it would help with upkeep.

We are only interested in adding a few more sections. if everyone paid five dollars to join it would help with upkeep.

Yeah, if everyone paid $5 it would really help with the upkeep. There'd be no members to require any upkeep.

yeah Ira, coz $5 would really break the bank...

Those of us (Ira & Myself) both pay for the use of this site through our clubs capitations for FNZAS.

If you want to help the FNZAS by getting more funding, then join a FNZAS club or formalise the auckland reef club and get fees to pay for the FNZAS capitation.

1 forum is enough for 10 people.

We would have as many new threads a day if people used their brain and added to existing threads like "Here are some pics of my tank". What not add it to the dozen or more other "here are pics of my tank" thread.

More forums would just mean the same 10 people would need to check more forums, or more likley that many people (Alois judging by his comments) myself included wouldn't bother to check a 'beginners' forum anyway (I havn't seen Alois and many of the others here posting in the Begineers forum). So all that would happen is that the beginners would need to post in this forum to get answers because none of the more experanced keepers would be talking with them.

Pie

I know being a beginer to fish forums that if you go to a large forum like reef central it is to hard to get the information you want because when they were a small site rather than set up aditional sub forums they said we dont need to and then things get to complex to change. So I agree that we sould at least keep an eye on what may need to be changed so that as the forum grows it can still be simple enough for beginers to find the information they need imo :D

We would have as many new threads a day if people used their brain and added to existing threads like "Here are some pics of my tank". What not add it to the dozen or more other "here are pics of my tank" thread.

Can’t agree more, really annoying with someone always starts a new thread when an existing one is available.