blue starfish

RnB

Funny I was talking about this today.

Linkia starfish are the centre of much debate online (UR,RC,WWM). The issue is that their short term survival is almost garanteed, however keeping them for more than 12 months is the challenge. Few people have.

Having just come back from Vanuatu where there are thousands of Linka starfish it was cool to see how fat and blue they are in the wild compared to the ones i've seen in peoples reefs (including my own).

They are quite nice, but I have noticed that when I got mine it was always racing around, but it has since slowed down and is often hidden. My tank is quite large (740 litre, with another 550 litres in sumps/refugium). The theory is that over time they slowly strip the tank of whatever it is they eat, then slowly starve and die.

I know its hard advice to hear, especially comming from someone who already has one, but I would steer clear, unless you are comfortable knowing you are going to kill it anyway.

As much as I like mine, I doubt I would try another untill my 1500 litre tank is built and a year or 2 old.

I know a few people who have them, not that people will probable admit to it but has anyone had one die yet? Mine must be getting close to being 12 months old, but I can't remeber. Perhapps i'll check my log on my site and see how long i've kept it.

YMMV.

Pies

Possible crabs, hard to know.

I have 2, both still alive.

One came from a guy down here who had large brittle star starfish that he throught may have attacked it, or maybee even his 8 line wrassee? Its still alive but I am not convinced its going to make it. Its not as bright as blue as it once was and its very skinny. It has healed it wound though.

There is some interesting stuff by Bob Fenner and Julian Sprung about how the water tranported with starfish should also go into you aquairum as it has 'healing proerties'. A healthy starfish should recover from a wound lost limb or even lost body.

Pie

arhhhhhh i've got one of them in my tank too :D

as for the star fish

Asterina starfish, or more commonly known as Fiji starfish are generally dime sized or smaller with a large body and irregular arm length. They tend to hide among corals and in the crevices of the live rock during the day and can sometimes be seen clinging to the corners of the tank. This type of starfish has been shown to eat coralline algae and will eat small polyp stony corals; specifically Acropora, xenia, green star polyps and several types of soft leather corals. These starfish divide across the main body with two or three legs of varying lengths and multiply rapidly. Remove these starfish when found

i think that i'll takje it out if i see it again (cause it could eat almost everything in my tank)

• 3 weeks later...

When Ivan striped his tank I got his blue starfish.

I was very carefull to acclimatise his and he seems to be doing well, moving around and well and no obviouse tissue damage or discolouration... I always think fish etc purchased from other tanks are a little less risk then straight import due to there survival through transport/import/ period etc.

I know it will be at least 12 months before I know if its possible to keep this guy long term, I have a lot of rock , I just wished i knew more about what they eat.

Peter

RnB there are some good articles on Linkia starfish on RC. People belive they eat 'shite' (can't spell detritus?) and perhapps some sponges.

I think mine must be close to 12 months old? What about everyone else, what is the status of their Linkia starfish?

i am hoping he/she love shite.... tank has plenty.....

maybe thats why it was happy in Ivans tank, he had quite a few fish and feed well i think....

I wonder if it would survive in a barebottom zero nitrate/phos tank... i doubt it, artical at advanced aquarist suggested that it needed some shite to live on and plenty of rock, also said once established they where quite hardy, i am hoping it will help keep the bottom cleam etc....

Peter

hey i loved ivans tank, not saying it was full of shite or anything, it just wasn't a

zeovitasaurous zero anything tank........

I not think a blue linkia do that well in a low nutrient environment... but still hoping he will help lower mine 8)

i loved ivans massive anemone, but it was sold when i got there.... to the guy starting the butterfly farm, so i guess lots of kids will get to see it..... it was MASSIVE like about 18nches across

I am def going to get one of these sometime soon.....

a guy is starting a large butterfly farm/display near auckland international airport, he is going to have a 4000L marine display so i hear.... just gossip tho, not spoken directly to them, just what I heard...

Would be good to have more reef displays in public space.......

IMHO the ones at Kelly Tarltons are a travesty and shame them as a professitional site ! I would expect them to have much higher quality saltwater display tanks