Advice wanted for proposed firemouth setup

Neon

Hi,

I'm keen on setting up a tank for some firemouth cichlids.

I've had a few dwarf cichlids and would like something bigger.

I have a 90cm x 38cm x 38cm tank. Would this be okay for a pair of firemouths?

I'd like to have a sand substrate but also would like to grow plants like swords. Would it work having a fertilizer layer under the sand or would the firemouths just dig it up?

Could I keep a bristlenose in there with them or do you think there would be conflict?

Cheers,

Sarah

That tank would be good for a pair as long as they are compatible and get along stick a few hidey holes in just in case..

When I kept and bred them they kept digging to the bottom of the tank to lay their eggs and digging up all the plants but that was in a 2ft tank (they were only 5-6cm long), if you provided them with heaps of places to lay and left it relatively open around the rocks etc they may not try and clear all the plants away.. Then again you might be wasting your time you can only try and see what happens.

Bristlenoses should be rugged enough to be put with them, however if they lay the bristlenose will eat any eggs overnight (unless you leave a night light on) so not ideal for a breeding setup.

Hey Phoenix, yeah I've seen that website - it's an awesome setup.

Were you asking Ryan if he wanted some or me?

I've seen some nice ones in Auckland, by "nice" do you mean more red colouring?

I'd be keen to get some fry so I guess a bristlenose is out. Would any other bottom feeders be ok or would they all eat any eggs? I'd be keen on some julii cory.

And is it right that they prefer a neutral ph?

Sorry for all these questions... :oops:

i was asking ryan if he wanted some cause he is close-ish to p-north.

i was in akl in dec and saw some large, stunning specimens at the animates in glenfield (jansens). im kicking my self for not getting them.

HFF in albany also had some -good stock as always.

so im going to see if i can get some from the same supplier, once i can track them down.

neutral to slightly acidic pH is perfect. they breed pretty well and are quite strong so you can make minute adjustments to see what yours like best.

my tank is always a steady pH 6, so if i get 2 they will have to be happy in that :lol:

Sorry for all these questions... :oops:

But if no one asks questions, we will have no forum :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
That tank is amazing would love to have a tank like that.. The firemouths are awesome pity we don't usually see any that good here :(

I've often pondered comments on how some of the fish here are not "that good" here. Is the visual quality of them a definite indication that they wont grow into prime specimens if treated properly and fed appropriately ? Or could a straggly looking juvenile become a stunning adult ? I don't know the answer to this, so thought I'd ask the question :-)

My firemouths dont get on with any of their tank mates.... corys large and small, bristlenose (now killed) and yellow fin tetras....

They are quite aggressive to anything that moves...

Hi kd123. Do you have any photos of your firemouths? How many do you have? Have they bred?

Also how do you have your tank set up?

I bought one firemouth a couple of weeks back. It doesn't seem the best colour but is quite a character - it charges along the front glass of the tank looking at me. Wanting food I suppose. It's only about 6m so seems small.

There was one at the shop that had good colour but of course as soon as you try to catch one they all go grey so it's hard to pick the right one.

It's ignoring the other fish in the tank at the moment. The tank is a jungle so it's hard to remove the other fish already in there.

Aquatopia - I assume fish colouring is genetic so even with the best food and care the colouring won't get any better. But I could be wrong.

I noticed HFF Roskill have some firemouths with nice colouring and fins so I'd like to get some more but I'm worried they'll pick on the existing one now. I should have bought a whole bunch at once.

I'm not so sure that is right actually - a lot of cichlids display better colouring depending on lack of stress, whether there are females present to induce breeding display, and some experts believe also whether they are over a light or dark substrate. Also age has a bearing - often younger examples do not display full depth of colouration. Genetics may play a part too, but i certainly don't think its just down to that alone. JMHO

you're right... although genetics play a crucial part in the phenotype of an organism, it is not the only thing that determines the colour in this case. the environment, competition from other males, lack/abundance of females, and also very importantly diet etc etc... all play a part in the colours.

you're right... although genetics plays a crucial part in the phenotype of an organism, it is not the only thing that determines the colour in this case. the environment, competition from other males, lack/abundance of females, and also very importantly diet etc etc... all play a part in the colours.

...and just to clarify for some who may not know, "phenotype" is the physical appearance of an organism based on its genetics whereas "genotype" is simply the genetic makeup. :wink: