White Gas Halfmoon pics

GBoyd

• 1 month later...

I've had a bit of a challenge with these two. The female is very aggressive, flares and blows bubbles, while the male is very timid and hides.

I tried them together for short periods with little success. The only time I left them together overnight she thoroughly shredded him.

I have bred them both successfully with other fish, just not with each other!

Yes, it is a female, I have spawned her with another male.

It is unfortunate, the fish shop said they were a pair. I have a few more halfmoons to play with now so I can mix and match.

Mostly when 'pair' is said it usually means that they are male and female. 'Breeding' pair means that they should have spawned and raised fry. Pet shops won't know that as the majority they sell are imported.

I always carefully question the shop staff as to how the two fish interact. On several occasions I have had to buy a pair as they have been "paired up" and will not be sold separately.

I'm not bashing the retailers, they need to make sales. However I would like to know a pair really are a pair rather than just a male and female of the same species.

The only solution is to have several males and females to mix and match. It is very frustating if you only have a so called "pair" that will not get along.

hmm. that is a very interesting point. I too would have thought that a "pair" of fighters sold as they are; are in fact a compatible pair and not just a male and a random female of the same type.

they come from the wholesalers as pairs, so it would be quite upsetting if they were not.

A pair doesn't necessary mean a breeding pair or a compatible pair.

Whether you like it or not, it just meant a male and a female.

A confirmed breeding pair is a male and female that had bred before together successfully with frys being raised.

More then 95% of the time you can just put a male fighter and a female together and they will successfully breed.

The only thing you have to take into consideration is the size of the two fish.

The male have to be bigger then the female to succeed.

The female shouldn't be left till the tummy gets too big .

Do not bother them when you're trying to breed them.

hth,

ron

Well, I guess I will keep trying with these two. I figure eventually I will get it right. However, I do know that if there is a bunch of females next to a male, that a preference will show up over a day or two. I have also seen bettas who are just not compatible, in fact with Plakat, to such an extreme that the male will kill the female. Probably my own fault, nonetheless it happens.

Now if a shop tells me these two are a pair, I can only believe that some attraction has been observed, why else should I pay more and rely on the statement that they are a pair?

Actually in this case, the female is bigger than the male and i already noted this before trying to mate them. I did pair her with a much bigger, quite aggresive crowntail. After two spawns she is a lot less stroppy in the spawning tank and i think I will soon get them paired up and spawning together. Just took a bit longer than I first thought.

Well, I guess I will keep trying with these two. I figure eventually I will get it right. However, I do know that if there is a bunch of females next to a male, that a preference will show up over a day or two. I have also seen bettas who are just not compatible, in fact with Plakat, to such an extreme that the male will kill the female. Probably my own fault, nonetheless it happens.

Now if a shop tells me these two are a pair, I can only believe that some attraction has been observed, why else should I pay more and rely on the statement that they are a pair?

Actually in this case, the female is bigger than the male and i already noted this before trying to mate them. I did pair her with a much bigger, quite aggresive crowntail. After two spawns she is a lot less stroppy in the spawning tank and i think I will soon get them paired up and spawning together. Just took a bit longer than I first thought.

Do you have any pix of their previous spawns? The CT HM mix sounds interesting.