Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ventilation in terrarium

Featured Replies

im building an mdf enclosure for one of my bearded dragons and am wondering what everyones thoughts on how much ventilation is needed.

size is 1500x600x700.at the moment ive cut out about 70x180 at each end.

i bought vents from bunnings, only put one on each end but will probably put another 2 on the back of enclosure aswell before next summer.

my enclosure is 1400long x 600 deep

vents are 300x150

ours have 2 sliding panels at each end 1 3mm ply with insect screen cut into it as a large window

and 1 a sheet of glass, both on sliding track upwards, can alter glass height or remove completely in summer

screen in front of glass to stop them running up and down on it and leavung grubby finger marks

enclosures 2.4 x 80cm x 90cm

I am using two PC 80x80mm 12V fans at the top on the cool side of an enclosure, similar dimensions to the one you are doing, 1800 x 600 X 600. They are on a thermostat so if it gets above 30 deg cel they start up. I put a car stereo speaker cover over the fans to make it less escape proof for bugs (sony xplode 6.5inch). It moves heaps of air and gets rid of the heat pooling at the top.

I am building an enclosure also but from 12mm ply. It will be 1600 x 600 x 1200mm high and divided into two seperate stories. I tried breeding locusts in an old aquarium with an mdf lid and light bulb and had limited success. I suspect that the mdf was giving off formalin with the heat of the bulb so stayed away from it with the terrarium. The locusts are now doing well in an Eko terrarium so it could be formalin or better ventilation (or both). I was planning to put a vent each end for each compartment but haven't worked out the size yet.

The max temp at the basking site is 105 deg f, I have a min max thermo located at the side of the basking spot which normally indicates 95 to 98 deg f and I get that via a MVB. I set the fans to 12v to remove heat at the cool end, which as you stated is replaced and this is what gives the heat gradient along the lenght of the cage.

For night I use a 60w, Red Bulb and turn the fans down to 7.5v which then keeps the cage at around 20 - 23 deg cel. I am going to create a dry rocky basking site in the middle of the cage , opposed to the jungle and woody looking one I have at the moment.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.