Who breeds beardies?

lmsmith

Who on here breeds beardies? I'm getting myself sorted for one in a few months and need to know who I can contact about one when I need one. I want to get a baby so I can bond with it when it's little, and have one who's happy about being handled.

Also, I've read posts about people shipping them; out of interest, how do you do it?

I'v had 2 sent to me from same breeder

the 5 wk old was in a plastic tub (bit bigger than length of dragon)with screw on lid and heaps of air holes in courior bag with air holes and the other was older and in a box,

they got to me fast and okay but my friends one might of injured it tail from traviling

so there is a slight risk i guess

I feed mine meal worms plus the rest .........very easy

You mean as well as crickets? I'm trying to do all my research about everything well before I get them, and I want to get set up with feeders too, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Can we get phoenix worms here? They seem to be well regarded overseas. Maybe I need Mincie for this?

Ok, is there a way I can feed crickets without touching them?

You mean as well as crickets? I'm trying to do all my research about everything well before I get them, and I want to get set up with feeders too, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Can we get phoenix worms here? They seem to be well regarded overseas. Maybe I need Mincie for this?

Ok, is there a way I can feed crickets without touching them?

Yes feed them crickets , meal worms , sladers plus the greens and dog food .

If you cut a coke bottle bottem of on a slant you can use has a scoop ..

i may have some in a few months but hard to say as season here is abit like the weather (muddled up :lol: ) generally its breeding season through summer months but like everything there can be exceptions.

crickets are fine u get used to them jumping around pretty quick, they only fly when adults and generally only females - bd shouldnt be eating adults for atleast first 6months

as reptilenut mentioned scoop em up works well, roaches can and will climb glass (or atleast the species we have in nz do, i dont think dubias are here) so theyre more tricky as compared to crickets imo.

i only handle crickets if i see an escapee & i have a bd thats so lazy she likes to be hand fed :lol: , i dont recommend hand feeding it creates lazy lizards but it is a buzz...trying to keep fingers in tack lol, was hand feeding crix to the frogs today that was cool, i love how they use there hands to get the cricket into there mouth and close there eyes like something gross has touched them :lol: . other option is put an egg carton, toilet rolls etc into cricket bin just pull out and shake into a bucket or plastic bag (bags work well for dusting supplements to) then pour crickets into tank for bd etc, oh if bd doesnt eat them all i also pick them up/take out to avoid nibbles but yea theyre only bugs you soon get used to it.

mealworms dont jump nor bite but should only be fed as treats, thats just my opinion others will vary. slaters seem to go down a treat.

other option is locusts, most people have good success with them just need plenty of grass at hand for best results.

hth

• 1 month later...

On hold for now, I decided that the puffs had been growing fast enough to move to the big tank, so I've been putting all my energy into that. Hopefully once I've got them sorted I can get rid of 1 FW tank and get started on getting a beardie :D:D