prices?

livebearer_breeder

Hi Livebearer_Breeder

I strongly advise against going for a two foot. The smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain water parameters.

"Ideal" size is 4 foot, however I recommend a 5 foot just to be safe :lol:

Incl live stock and equipment about $5k SECOND HAND. Buy brand new and you can add another $3k on top of that

Ive heard on this forum that it costs about NZ$8000 approximately if you want to buy all your gear new. If second hand, availablity permitting, maybe around NZ$5000.

Ive also heard that lighting is an important component, and will cost the most in a new setup if bought new in a package. I believe DIY is the best way - Buy your bulbs, make your bulb holders (Bulkheads.. I think they are called, I could be wrong)

And a sump is to keep all the equipment out of the tank, however it is also a great way to skim/filter and heat the tank. Ask some of the more experienced users like Pies and reef.

cost isnt relevant with a marine setup (get the right equiptment and dont worry about price :D )

size is also less important than people in this forum suggest

if your willing to put in the prep and effort any size will work

(a guy in italy has a pico tank just under a litre) (no fish but it has coral)

I would start with a three foot at a minimum. It is not THAT different to tropical. A few more toys to add and a bit more science. Lighting and a protien skimmer are generally your two most expensive items. Decided on what you eventually want your tank to be like, plan it out and gradualy get your gear. No point starting with a small tank and upgrading a year later. Read a few books and take everything with a grain of salt (yes that pun was intended).

I brought my first tank from Jansens and dealt with their marine "expect". He sold me a mercury vapour light, a deep 4ft 300litre tank and a cannister filter rated for a tank half that size. With that great start we were sold a blue tang the very next day to run the tank in. It die within 30 minutes of hitting the water. Back then they only cost a mere $75.00. Even the shop experts can not always be trusted.

2-3 foot is fine, however the smaller the tank the margin of error is higher

Fish only systems are cheaper as you dont need very good light,

get a very good skimmer as water quality is so important.

cost

good protein skimmer for 200l tank $400-500

rock 400

floros 50

pumps 300-400

you wont need a filter as if you have enough rock it will do the job if you have a very good skimmer.

so you should be able to to it for under $2500

EXACTLY what it boils down to is what Ira has just pointed out, it depends on what price you can get a marine tank 2nd hand for in the first place. got mine fo $1.5k, ended up spending $6k more + another $2.5k on niceites like timber for a stand to have it in a wall, concrete/timber etc for a sump room, etc etc.

size is also less important than people in this forum suggest

Totally DISAGREE, size is a critical factor in the success of reef, especially for people starting out.

I would not recommend anything less than 4 foot for someone just starting out. The variety of fish you can keep in a three foot tank is extremely limited. I should know. I started out with a three foot converted freshwater tank. That was one of my biggest mistakes.

My advice would be to get at least a 4 foot, drilled with a three foot sump ($300-$400).

Good quality skimmer ($600) - acts as a semi-mechanical filtration. Removes dissolved organic compounds which would other wise decompose into nitrates.

40kg Live rock ($400) - acts as biological filtration.

Skimmer and live rock together form your complete filtration system. NO canister filter bio-balls or even filter wool.

Two 250W MH units ($600+).

Test Kits ($250) - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Alkalinity.

Livestock ($2000 + fully stocked)

all up prob $5,000 with pumps etc.

Have a look around reefcentral.com for a month or two before purchasing anything. This will give you an idea of what you should expect when setting up and maintaining a tank.

Layton

hi..i have a Aquaone ar620 90L (use to be for Tropical but after 2 months i decided that i want marine) I use the standard lighting which comes with then tank, a eheim 2227 wet/dry filter, rea sea prizm skimmer and 8kg of rock. Only has 3 small fish in it now, will add more fish and corals in later. (does anyone have some for me :lol: )

The costing for that is around 2000$ now (And i imported some of the equipment myself)

My tank is running fine now and it is not hard to keep at all. But i would still strongly suggest that you go for a much larger tank (200-300L) because you are not really paying that much more and you can have more freedom in your fish selection. (Not like me, i can only keep small fish)

Want to post a picture for you to see but don't know how to..

TOTALLY agree with Layton here. IMO take that as gospel otherwise risk wasting time and money.... and read my signature below, this will happen one hell of alot faster on a small tank - and even more so if you're a beginner (take it from someone who found out the hard way!!!)