Bugger the rain

minchton

It has been raining heavily non-stop since last night here in the Naki. :(:(:(

Finally got a break in the rain late this afternoon so chose a quick moment to go and feed my outside pond fish. Walked out to the site to find that the rain had totally undermined one of my aboveground ponds and one side wall had collapsed. :cry::cry::cry:

Fifty odd goldfish flapping around in the rain and what puddles had formed. Checked another pond and found that undermined as well and that some of the fish had got in underneath. Caught all the flappers, put them in a spare pond, then frantically pulled the other pond apart to rescue what fish I could.

So far touch wood I am only down 2 ponds and possibly 1 fish that may not survive. :):):) Looks like I am going to have a few very busy days ahead of me rebuilding 2 ponds.

BUGGER!!

I have an inground pond and left the hose running in it for 5hrs :o once (obviously unintentially!) came home to find the cats had had a good feed of the fish that got washed/swam over the edge onto the lawn (sometimes happens when it rains alot, but usually the fish aren't too near the top whizzing around when it is raining) - no where near as devastating as your pond collapsing and having to save the flappers though!!!!

HOpe the rain stops soon so you can start your rebuild and your 2 leftover ponds dont collapse too!

GOOD LUCK

It wasn't when your pump broke Ira :lol:

We had a good downpour yesterday too, enough to fill the pond, but not as bad as that. We needed it.

Our section is on an old riverbed so excess rain drains very quickly here and doesn't cause problems with the ponds.

29.5 here at the moment :roll:

Pleased to say that we managed to save the whole lot. If you had seen the area that they were spread over and under you would realise that this was quite some achievement.

Just to hijack this forum: we are proposing to have an informal get together at 21 Maire Street Inglewood on Tuesday 10th March 7.30pm to guage the interest in restarting the local fish club. This is a no obligation meeting and as much a "greet and meet" as anything else. an indication of anybody likely to attend would be appreciated. Phone (06) 7567 521.