Interfecus

"Coldwater" guppies are  

16 members have voted

1. 1. "Coldwater" guppies are

• A real, common species of fish
    • A complete myth - all guppies are tropical
    • A very rare species
    • A convenient way to trick people into giving you money

None of the options fits as far as I am concerned. Cold water guppies are a misconception. Guppies can tolerate cooler temperatures than a lot of other tropicals but that does not make them cold water fish. In a well insulated and warm house they may be kept without a heater but the water will be about 18C which is not cold.

Got to agree with Caryl in that I don't consider any of the options fit. Yes they are true species - the same species as every other guppy. Some people may loose their money on them because of the 'cold water' mis-label - if the sales person mentioned that they really meant an unheated tank in a nice warm house then people would have a better idea.

Whilst I agree with most of what has been said, I must make two points.

1. I have seen two shops selling Phalloceros Caudimaculatus as "cold water Guppies". If I buy them from a shop under that name unless I know better I would sell the offspring as CW Guppies.

2. One of our local members has kept Guppies in her fish pond with goldfish for a number of years. Mind you the survival rate is not high compared with those indoors.

Makes this poll a sort of waste of time as none of the catergories fit either of these situations.

I'd call cold water something that could be kept in a pond outside. Which would obviously not include guppies. In a reasonably well heated house most tropicals would be able to handle 18ish degrees without too much trouble. Doesn't mean angels, Severums, etc are cold water cichlids.

As for keeping them inside without a heater and calling them "cold-water"

uh uh

I have a friend in New York, who's furnace broke down and lost her power, had to leave her house cause of the bitter cold.

Returned three days latter to find her tank FROZEN solid

Let's see a "cold-water guppy" survive that.

The question I wanted to ask the seller, was,

What are the taxonomical names of your cold water guppy and your tropical guppy?

But I couldn't ask :cry:

Maybe someone from here could ask that question. :evil:

Alan

I dont want to suggest that you are an expert or not but I would have thought one of the first things in learning is the ability to read.

For those that havent read my previous post I would suggest you do.

Club members have kept guppies in an outside pond with some success. Another member has kept platties and rainbows in an outside pond.

I would suggest that with patience any fish could be aclimatised to survive cold water.

This does not mean that I would ever refer to a tropical fish as a cold water species as this is not their natural environment.

I guess they would be kind of like humans. Take africans, they have adapted to extreme heat at day and very cold at night. While people that live in cold places, their bodies have adapted. I rekon fish could do the same if breed through enough generations.

We can breed guppies outside in a pond over summer no trouble at all. Quite a number of barbs also go well outside - but manydo not survive during the winter. It depends what part of the country you live in too as it stays a lot warmer up north than it does down here!

OK, I've read the thread. Maybe the options weren't clear enough.

I would classify a misconception in this case as being the same thing as a myth. It does not have to be an intentional deception to count as a myth.

To claim that there are two types of guppy ("coldwater" and "tropical"), you would have to demonstrate that the "coldwater" strain had a significantly higher survival rate than the "tropical" strain when exposed to low temperatures.

I'm not demanding a rigorous scientific experiment here, but before any such claims can be made you need to have some evidence that there are in fact two different strains that differ with respect to tolerance of cold. This could be as simple as putting a divider down the middle of a couple of tanks and for each tank have 5 "coldwater" guppies on one side and 5 "tropical" guppies on the other. Leave the tanks in a cool place in the house or outside at about 12 deg. C. Count the number remaining each day and use that to produce a frequency graph of survival times for each strain. They would have to share the same water and get roughly the same amount of food each day to keep conditions equal but that isn't at all difficult to do.

I agree that it would be possible to breed a coldwater strain given several decades to do it in, but I don't think that's likely in this case or they would just say so to people who inquire about the difference.

Chances are the person selling the 'coldwater' guppies on trademe is either deceiving people or has been deceived themselves as to the nature of these guppies. Given the fact that they're blacklisting anybody who asks questions about it (not that I've seen how it was asked) rather than offering an answer to them, I'm currently more inclined to believe the former.