Interfecus

"Coldwater" guppies are  

16 members have voted

1. 1. "Coldwater" guppies are

• A real, common species of fish
    • A complete myth - all guppies are tropical
    • A very rare species
    • A convenient way to trick people into giving you money

The guy on trademe is still selling them as cold water guppys, and now he even has platy! he doesnt listen to what any of us have tryed to tell him! what is wrong with some ppl? coudnt that be some sought of false advertising? i mean say some kid gets them as present, so he keeps them ina coldwater tank or pond, and the water is too cold and they die?? really he shouldnt be selling them as cold water! he doesnt tell them that they are tropical fish that he has acclimatised??

Shae 250

It's been discussed in the chat room shae, they are not cold water as the are kept in a divided tank where only one side has a heater, and the heat transfers throught the glass.

I know this as I sold her the platties and the guppies are in the same tank.

B

is the scientific name for a common guppie calle "poecilia reticulata? if so my book sais 23 deg - 26 deg

although from what i have heard we have guppies living in our local streems, now if they are livng there then they must be breeding there to support a population level if this is true then you could say they are a temperate fish as our streems get down to about 10 deg c i think maybe even colder

Any "guppy" living in local streams in Palmie. I would venture to say, are definately gambusia.

A very hardy, noxious fish.

It will wipe out native species and even frogs from any area that they get established in.

If you find any that live down there in the streams, catch and photograph them, for a little bit of confirmation.

By the way, it is illegal to keep, breed, sell, give away, or spread in any way, gambusia.

In fact, if you catch them in a waterway, it is illegal to replace it alive back into the water.

Alan 104

i catch them down here and guess what i never put them back...because they make excellent live food for my mates cichlids, just gotta rememeber to quarantine them for a while just in case, but hey free live food and a good show to boot

I would suggest that with patience any fish could be aclimatised to survive cold water.

I dont think that would happen in the near future. Might take a few million years. Enzymes are temperature specific, and will not change so quickly. Guppies temperature preference and resistance is a product of millions of years of evolution.

I agree that it would be possible to breed a coldwater strain given several decades.

More like several million years, right?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TRUE COLD WATER GUPPIE!

Amen.

No one take offence from this post, just voicing my opinions. Plz correct me if im wrong.