refugium bits

chimera

Who or where is the best place to get aragonite and oolite sand? i want to setup a DSB in my refugium of about 2 inches aragonite with 2 inches of oolite on top. can you buy live sand or does it have the same import restriction as LR?

i also need some calurpa and/or mangroves and anything else recommended for the refugium. will the lfs have this or somewhere else cheaper/better? reef? anyone got an overgrow of calurpa they want to flick off to me! :D

I assume (from what I've read) that all the above are recommended additions for a refuge?

I don't have calurpa but I do have at least two other types that grow well. If you have some live rock (or rock form corals that have died) stick that in there. You will be suprised at what grows when there are no fish and the amount of living things that come out.

I have a small tank growing algae for my tangs and the glass is covered in little creatures. My wrasse would have a field day.

I can get bags of Reef Base which is a mix of aragonite and reef spheres (porous calcereous shells of simple protozoa according to the bag). A mere $49.95 for a 5.4kg bag.

thats the idea. it's supposed to grow quick - it acts as a nutrient export by taking up nitrates, ammonia etc You have to rip out old calurpa every now and then, thus physically removing the excess nutrients. here's a couple of good sites on refugiums:

A quick speil on refug's

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm

Building a refugium...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/a/aa041400.htm

John Rice's fauna beast...

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/fauna_sump/fauna_sump.htm

I think that it is illegal to sell calurpa, because it is classed as a noxious weed? So your LFS is unlikely to have it (or sell it). Sand is the same deal as live rock, you have to buy it dry from a shop, or get it from a friendly fellow reefer.

Calurpa Taxifola is on the 'noxious weed' list in NZ, all the others are in the clear.

I have many different types, and if anyone wants any they are welcome to come and get some (no I'm not posting it).

A lot of people in the US use Taxifola as it apparantly is less likley to go asexual and crash. Others belive the best is Calurpa Racemosa.

If you are willing to assume that they are both usefull, Racemosa is easy to find. It can be found in NZ waters, and looks like little grapes on stalks. Otherwise I can hook you up.

I have about 7 different types for those who really want some. 2 different types of calcerous (sp?) as well. And 2 types of red.

Free to anyone who comes and gets it.

Pies

Mitch - ohhhh I see. No I'm not comming up, Jane maybee though, if she is I am sure I can get you a starter culture. I don't have much as just had a clean out but I am sure I can give you enough to start you off.

IRA - Anytime you want to organise a visit and grab some Calurpa tis no problem, I can always spare enough to get you started.

Pielurpa