L260 queen arab pics

mr pleco

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr Pleco, I love these fish they are awesome. Congratulations on the babies! How do you tell if they are girls or boys when adults? I really like the one on tm and it would take me some saving up to get it. They have in their ad that its a male but I read a article on how to breed them and that said the males have very long odontodes on the cheek/gills. In the photo I can't see any of these if I'm looking for the right thing (tiny bristles on the cheeks). Would like an expert opinion please. To me it looks quite plump like a female? But I don't know I just thought males were normally more slender. Thanks NC

Hi Mr Pleco, I love these fish they are awesome. Congratulations on the babies! How do you tell if they are girls or boys when adults? I really like the one on tm and it would take me some saving up to get it. They have in their ad that its a male but I read a article on how to breed them and that said the males have very long odontodes on the cheek/gills. In the photo I can't see any of these if I'm looking for the right thing (tiny bristles on the cheeks). Would like an expert opinion please. To me it looks quite plump like a female? But I don't know I just thought males were normally more slender. Thanks NC

female

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... ge_id=2134

male

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... ge_id=2155

gravid female viewed from above

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... ge_id=4069

as you can see from these photos both have ordontoles or cheek bristles the males are usually longer and thicker but not by much until they are mature , also females when viewed from above are rounder from the first fin thru the body, whereas the males stay slender almost a V shape from the pectral or leading fin thru to the tail . i think yr one is a beautiful ,nice looking male, but its not a great shot of it to tell the difference .All queen arabs look fat when in condition even males so belly size means nothing just that they are fed well . look downwards on it and the shape should be oval for female and V shaped for male if it takes a pretty much direct line from the leading fin to the tail without much deviation then its usually a male

hope that helps

I went and looked at their picture again and yes i can just make them out tucked next to the cheek, your right though not a very good photo for trying to tell. I went and looked at the links you gave me and that confirmed it. I think its gorgeous but be hard to convince my partner at that price (could be accomplished but would take alot of talking unless I just did it but he would know when I randomly went to Auckland)! Also I like to try and get a friend for lonely fish so I would have to get another one one day. I will dream about it for now I think! Is there any chance you will ever sell any of your offspring? I understand if not, I would find it hard to part with these! Thanks NC

I went and looked at their picture again and yes i can just make them out tucked next to the cheek, your right though not a very good photo for trying to tell. I went and looked at the links you gave me and that confirmed it. I think its gorgeous but be hard to convince my partner at that price (could be accomplished but would take alot of talking unless I just did it but he would know when I randomly went to Auckland)! Also I like to try and get a friend for lonely fish so I would have to get another one one day. I will dream about it for now I think! Is there any chance you will ever sell any of your offspring? I understand if not, I would find it hard to part with these! Thanks NC

hi NC i should add that the leading fin should be quite hairy for a male and hardly any at all for female , they are harder to sex than most hypansistrus, but when you get them both tegether you do discover the differences . i can understand yr dilemma at price it is a shame for such an awesome fish , as for mine i currently have about 30 growing out they are slower than other hypans at growing. i will be holding on to about ten to set up a proper colony and take the pressure off my only pair to "reproduce " they only have about 4-5 eggs at a time as they are a young pairing and hopefully will increase with age ,they are currently taking a break (their desicion not mine) but thats sweet by me as i have other plecs "getting jiggy" and need the space .. that means, there should ,be all going well ,around 20 for sale in the future ,i have come to realise the specialness of this particular species of plec and have been swamped with requests like yrs therefore i cannot say at this stage when or how much they will be when they become available to be honest i would like to see most of my first batches going to dedicated breeders so that again takes the pressure off my pairing and secures them in the country if for any reason something happens to mine

on that note thou i am trying to convince my pairing that their "holiday" was great but its time to get back to business as its my ambition to be able to get these to everybody that wants to own one at a reasonable price i hope to one day soon fufill yr dreams and my ambitions :lol: