Duckweed in pond

Caryl

i was kindly given some awhile back and put it in my pond but it only lasted in there not even a week :( the fish ate it all - It frustrating when everyone complains it being a pest in there tanks - and i can't get it to grow in my pond :evil:

I was hoping for it to shade the water

I don't think you'll have a problem with it, the fish will keep it under control

should be fine i dont think it will take over the pond as fish will eat it - keep goldfish well fed and you may have success growing it in there.

its one of those plants, grows well when you dont try not so well when you try :-? :)

possibly try azolla (large duckweed) but that stuff really is a pest takes over lakes something cronic and im not sure if goldfish will eat it but i suspect they do as my mothers pond has been setup for 2-3 years and all surrounding natural waterways (within 100meters or so) are full of it and birds travel between the ponds yet no duckweed/azolla in my mothers pond full of goldfish.

wouldnt hurt to try the common duckweed. i dont think it will take over your pond

Azolla is not large duckweed...

Azolla is a tiny floating fern. It looks kinda scaly and is in a V shape. Usually less than 2cm wide. It is the one you see on farm ponds as a thick red carpet. It is green in lower light. Azolla needs strong sun and very (very very) still water to grow.

There are two species in NZ, the invasive A. pinnata has mostly replaced the native A. finiculoides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_fern

There are two types of duckweed (Lemna spp.) here. The native one is slightly smaller, and has one root per leaf platelet. The introduced one is bigger and has multiple roots per platelet. Obvious if you look, but otherwise totally negligible differences.

Gawd why do I know all this stuff? Never write a book, it forces you to learn so much pointless stuff! :roll:

I have a 5,500 litre pond, filtered and about 5m long x 2.5 m wide. I put duck weed into a bird bath-type dish that water runs into and then overflows into the main body of the pond. The duckweed is sort of contained in the dish, although some has run into the main pond. Nothing much of the duck weed has got established in the pond and it's been there for a few months now. The duck weed in the dish has completely covered its surface and I think it looks great. It hasn't been a problem in the main body of the pond - maybe the goldfish are eating it, but I hadn't especially noticed that.

I was nervous about introducing it, but it has been no problem in the sunny situation my pond is in. I think it adds a natural authenticity to the pond's appearance.

Cheers.