Apistogramma cacatuoides

firefish

Nice fish that's for sure :)

Different kettle of fish to blue rams they tend to chill out alot more and can hide if there aren't other more confident fish in the tank, if you get a pair it is very likely they will breed in a community tank females go off and find somewhere secret to lay.

How big is your tank? They can get along with blue rams but would depend on tank size obviously both being cichlids they can have their tiffs as long as there is room for both of them then it should be fine.

i hadn' really thought about aggression during breeding . What are the chances that they breed tho? And how agressive could they get? like kill each other agressive. i'd really liked the idea of having quite a few little dwarf cichlids.

Or Would 2 Apistogramma cacatuoides, 2 blue rams and 2 bolivian rams work?

They are very likely to breed if you have a boy and girl, maybe not successfully raising fry but they will still be protective.

I don't know how well the 3 different types of cichlids would go in a 100L tank probably not too well if one of them is quite dominant then may dominate the others..

my tank is bigger than that, but i had all those fish with no probs... i didnt want them breeding though, but all the squabbles that they had were quite civil...there are lots of plants though so that makes for excellent hiding spaces.

you could maybe try it out, and then if it didnt work sell the fish? i usually do that, and never end up selling any of my fish.

If you have the tanks then its worth a nudge.. Generally I give stocking advice based on people only having one tank and wanting them to get along long term which is where it gets difficult :) Make sure you post with your experiences, if you want cockatoo's I just got a male off bilbo and they're very nice.

When I had 2 pairs of Cockatoos in my 4ft tank they paired off ok but there was a dominant male and he was not going to have a bar of another male in the tank and chased the other male relentlessly round the tank so I removed one pair to a breeding tank. Also the female when she's in breeding colours can be quite aggressive towards other fish even ones a lot bigger than her and less aggressive dwarf cichlids like the bolivians/butterfly rams might get really stressed. Guess it will depend on what cichlids you decide to get and how many :wink: Good Luck!! :D

I have at the moment 40+ cockatoo's in a 50ltr tank without any issues, they even eat from my fingers.

I also have had another 50ltr tank with 2 pairs of rams, 2 panduro, 2 other apisto's (possibly borellii) and a pair of cockatoo's and a few misc tetra's, guppies and bristlenoses with no problems at all. Rams even bred in there.

It is good advice to give them some of there own space and I have seen them get a bit protective of there fry but very seldom with cockatoo's get agressive beyond a bit of chasing. (unlike agassizi which are just plain mean when they have fry)

For dwarf's is not the volume that matter as much as the size of the foot print because they will hang around middle to bottom most of the time. Dither fish like guppies or danios that hang around the top will help alot to bring them out for food.